Active Topics

I really need skype installed. I am running Diablo.

If I go to the app installer and follow directions in this forum and enable the maemo repository, the installer just sits there for hours and says "checking for updates". I have also tried downloading skype and then the installer just says preparing to install but never goes any further.

I really need skype on this n810 by tomorrow. It used to work fine on my n800 until the n800 died and could not be revived.

Originally Posted by katysax View Post
I really need skype installed. I am running Diablo.

If I go to the app installer and follow directions in this forum and enable the maemo repository, the installer just sits there for hours and says "checking for updates". I have also tried downloading skype and then the installer just says preparing to install but never goes any further.

I really need skype on this n810 by tomorrow. It used to work fine on my n800 until the n800 died and could not be revived.
Try this link:
http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-nokiatablet

you shouldn't need to enable any extra repositories for skype. Skype is in Nokia catalogue repository. try to disable all other repositories and try again.

I had tried this link Try this link:

and downloaded Skype that way. What happens is that the application manager says "Preparing for installation" and then nothing happens for a long long time so I assume it is doing nothing.

First I tried installing by the selection to use Skype which said Skype needed to be installed. When that didn't work I flashed the OS and updated to the latest version of Diablo.

Oh, and I also have an internet connection and can use the browser.

I tried using the application manager but it would just say that the repositories could not be loaded.

Then I tried downloading Skype from Skype. If I click on the downloaded Skype it loads the application manager and it stays stuck at the preparing to download screen.

If I tried loading Skype into Application manager by Telling it to install from file and selecting the file, the same thing happens.

When I say it just sits I mean I can leave it for an hour and it does nothing.

Last edited by katysax; 2008-07-23 at 02:33. Reason: Add more info

Originally Posted by katysax View Post
I had tried this link Try this link:

and downloaded Skype that way. What happens is that the application manager says "Preparing for installation" and then nothing happens for a long long time so I assume it is doing nothing.

First I tried installing by the selection to use Skype which said Skype needed to be installed. When that didn't work I flashed the OS and updated to the latest version of Diablo.

Oh, and I also have an internet connection and can use the browser.

I tried using the application manager but it would just say that the repositories could not be loaded.

Then I tried downloading Skype from Skype. If I click on the downloaded Skype it loads the application manager and it stays stuck at the preparing to download screen.

If I tried loading Skype into Application manager by Telling it to install from file and selecting the file, the same thing happens.

When I say it just sits I mean I can leave it for an hour and it does nothing.
You are traveling tomorrow. So, there is another option, not the best but enough for your needs. Install Fring:
http://www.fring.com/linux/N810.install

You can then log into skype.

Good luck.

The application manager isn't finding any of the repositories. And, when I try to install the skype that i already downloaded it still tries to download the repositories and says the application isn't found.

Actually I can't install anything. HELP. Please

Go to the menu, see which repositories you have installed, chances are one of them is incorrect I'd think.

Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Go to the menu, see which repositories you have installed, chances are one of them is incorrect I'd think.
Perhaps the distribution field is "empty". You have to add "chinook diablo" to all your repositories. They are installed empty by default, i think.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
If none of these works, you can always reflash the tablet. Then you can install skype with no problems. Of course, this is a drastic solution. But if you need it...

Actually I can't install anything. HELP. Please
Ok, I think I know your problem. Check how much free space you have on the tablet. The problem is that there is not enough space to download anything, including the apt lists (which the app manager uses). Free up some space, and try again. Just remember, you cannot uninstall anything or install anything, because apt-get is now broken on you machine until you free up space.

Delete one of the videos or music that came with the tablet. That should do the trick

Or you could have a DNS problem *wink wink*

Last edited by Thesandlord; 2008-07-23 at 04:42. Reason: Time Travel is Cool