Notices

ok, so guys I just got the app pyrdesktop playing around with it. I intered the ip and name of my laptop turned on remote desktop for my laptop and while connecting through my own router it works wonderfully. I can't do insane things like play fear or oblivion (or even runescape sadly lol) but, aside from the sound I can pull up word/paint and even send email through the regular browser (not very impressive when the n810 can do it on its own I know but, I still find it interesting).

My problem comes in when I go somewhere else and try to connect through a friends internet provider that I can't connect to my laptop. I think it may be in part because I have no domain name assigned in the log in page. However, I also fear it may be for lack of a static ip address. Now I could understand why a static ip address would be needed but, I'd also prefer it if it wasn't.

Anyway around establishing the static ip address? all of the laptops at my house are actually used so i'd have mixed feelings about giving any of them a static ip address. (having a static ip address when the comp isn't static?).

So any ideas gentlemen? (or ladies?)

There are sites that will create a static domain portal for your dynamic IP address (that may not be the correct technical lingo, but hopefully you get the idea). You can search "Dynamic DNS service" for a lot more information.

Basically they all work the same way. You get a static domain name, and load a small helper program on your computer. It regularly "calls" the DNS and updates it with your current IP address. So even if it changes, the DNS will get the new address fairly quickly.

I personally use dynDNS.org It is free and recommended by a lot of people.

www.dyndns.org