Poll: Concerning Start-Ups, what should be done?
Poll Options
Concerning Start-Ups, what should be done?

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
"Hostile"? Seriously? I was just thinking how mellow it has turned after a short period of increased hostility a few months ago.
"Hostile" was perhaps too strong a word to describe the general atmosphere of this place, but I think there are cases where the use of the word is justified (ban threats, insults).

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I hope, this is not true!
That would be a shame and BIG mistake. Even so, Dave sometimes also got on my nerves, I see absolutely NO reason for banning him!

Can anybody official give a statement on this?
I never said he was banned, I don't think he has been banned (it would say so in his profile), but he hasn't been active for a few weeks now and that came shortly after the ban threat. I think he was driven away by the threat of being banned as well as the constant posts vilifying him, some of which have been abusive.

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I've only just seen this post, but would still like to reply that con artists can (also) accurately be described as "someone simply trying to sell something". You are completely ignoring all context and painting said member as wholly innocent and everyone who dishes out criticism as some sort of brutish monster. It's not some bloke who found TMO and said "oh, I still have an old N900 lying around, might as well sell it to these enthusiasts", it isn't even a collector who's trimming their collection, instead it's the very definition of a scalper. A wolf in sheep's clothes, if you will. The idea that sheep should be nice and kind to a wolf just because he's temporarily dressing as a sheep is plainly ridiculous.

By the way, if you read this post, do you still assume innocence? Before that post, the only things that were said were "that's expensive" and "Turing phones don't receive any software updates". Does that really warrant such a rude and pompous reply from the seller?

As a final note, it's probably too far gone now but the past couple of years there's been a strongly increasing trend to write off all criticism, snarky or not, as 'trolling', but that's not at all what trolling is about. Unfortunately, most of the times it's now used to say "I don't agree with you, hence you're a troll". The same thing has happened to a slightly lesser extent to the concept of a 'strawman': "I don't agree with or simply don't understand your argument, therefore it's a strawman". It's really frustrating as these debate stoppers (in my language there's a nice word for them called 'dooddoeners': death-doers/killers) quickly kill off all legitimate discussion.
Thank you for replying. Your post is a good example that illustrates my point, so I'm going to entertain a response for one last time.

There is no suggestion in that thread that the seller is a "con artist", only complaints that the price is unjustified. Selling an item at exuberant price does not make one a con artist. If there is a buyer willing to pay the set price, then both parties walk away happy. For the buyer to be conned, the seller would have to run away with the money or send something that did not match the description. The seller provided an option for purchasing the device via a secure method (eBay) that includes a money back guarantee. He has 100% positive feedback on an account that over 13 years old. He also offered an option for an offline deal which could be susceptible to a con. If someone chooses the offline option over the secure method and then ends up being conned, they've no one to blame but themselves.

Going back to my point... these days on TMO, you make a contribution to a thread which might be something as trivial as sharing a link about a relevant news update, and it gets torn apart. So you feel the need to justify your contribution, only for that to get torn apart. So you justify your justification, and it goes on and on and it gets to the point where you question why you bothered contributing anything in the first place.

I'm not saying I don't want anyone to challenge my posts, in fact I feel quite the opposite. I welcome people to challenge my posts. I often make statements which may be controversial and I'm often wrong. I like to learn from that. But it's the challenges that don't seem to make any sense or can be easily dismissed that irk me. The challenger, who regularly won't put much thought into their challenge, has no shame and comes back for more. It happens all too often now. There's little pleasure in posting here any more, so it becomes a waste of time.

That, coupled together with the fact that the only person in charge here likes to make threats of banning people whilst regularly mocking others, is why I will be significantly reducing my activity on this forum.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Well said.
And agree.

For myself...
over the last year now..
I am here far less than I used to be.
- coming to help new n8x0 users who post questions in need of help...
(But since n8x0 beginner help is pretty much automated with my walkthrough..There isn't much reason there...any longer...)
- to check on the Leste project.
- The odd time a post elsewhere...
- But mainly for convo in the final countdown ..

I can't see "leaving" ...leaving.
not yet ...
(In the past I couldn't conceive of leaving this place ...but..Neither could I conceive of this place turning into what it is ...either...)
When the final countdown goes quiet ...definitely.
When the topics of discussion are virtually wholly non maemo / nxx0 topics...definitely ..
When discourse breaks down ...definitely.
When there are fewer folks I know here (as has been happening the last few years more and more...) ...definitely.

And on the whole ...that day seems to be coming.

Under normal circumstances I would always come back to utilize the subforums of the nxx0, the downloads, garage, and the odd time the wiki...

But if Leste ends up going quiet here.
If dialogue in the nxx0 subforums goes quiet ..
and folks I know are going or gone..

then that is the time to update my cloned sections of TMO
and utilize them offline.
As it is..I have the nxx0 subforums, wiki, garage and downloads cloned as of a few years ago..
and as a precaution... I still have about 10 TB left on my personal external storage meant just for this purpose...
Though I doubt I will need that much extra now...

I have no illusions of this place "becoming something it wasn't"...
Its been going down this road deliberately for years ...since the non maemo inclusion of Jolla sub forum threads...and their ilk.

So ..
perhaps this fall or winter...
perhaps next winter...
perhaps in many years to come..
I am playing it by ear...
I'll know exactly when I have no interest whatsoever in coming here anymore.
Doesn't mean I won't stop using my nxx0's daily...
nor does it mean I won't download or install stuff to mess and putter with...
It just means ..when that dreadful day comes...
I will have no valid reason for coming back here...

all that being said...
hope you aren't at that point just yet..
Hope you don't go just yet wicket

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2019-04-06 at 10:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Thank you for replying. Your post is a good example that illustrates my point, so I'm going to entertain a response for one last time.

There is no suggestion in that thread that the seller is a "con artist", only complaints that the price is unjustified. Selling an item at exuberant price does not make one a con artist. If there is a buyer willing to pay the set price, then both parties walk away happy. For the buyer to be conned, the seller would have to run away with the money or send something that did not match the description. The seller provided an option for purchasing the device via a secure method (eBay) that includes a money back guarantee. He has 100% positive feedback on an account that over 13 years old. He also offered an option for an offline deal which could be susceptible to a con. If someone chooses the offline option over the secure method and then ends up being conned, they've no one to blame but themselves.
Note that I didn't say the guy was a con artist, just that your definition of "someone simply trying to sell something" could be applied to anyone, whether their intentions are good or not. As you didn't reply to anything I did say, I'm going to assume you don't disagree.

Going back to my point... these days on TMO, you make a contribution to a thread which might be something as trivial as sharing a link about a relevant news update, and it gets torn apart. So you feel the need to justify your contribution, only for that to get torn apart. So you justify your justification, and it goes on and on and it gets to the point where you question why you bothered contributing anything in the first place.
How often does this really happen, though? I don't read all threads, but the only thread I've recently seen with any kind of (unwarranted) criticism is the one about the F(x)tec phone, where dirkvl went for a full character assassination of chenliangchen, and appears to not have been reprimanded (by forum staff) for it. The only recent thing I can see is the Necuno thread where you posted about a blog post, and nieldk made a remark that to his disappointment there isn't really any news in it, which you appear to have interpreted differently. He's the guy who created the thread in the first place. Should I remind you to take another look at the first couple of pages of the thread, where nearly everyone's comments range from "seems too good to be true" to "smells like a scam"? It's true, Necuno is not selling anything yet, so they have nothing to prove. Because of that, they also have everything to prove.
However, whether his disappointment is justified or not doesn't even matter. You're conflating being disappointed in a project with being disappointed in a user's contribution and taking the former as a sort of personal attack. People don't express their thoughts on your (impersonal 'your') contributions, but on the state of the project itself. They aren't saying "how dare you share this with us?" but "we are perhaps irrationally angry at the project you're talking about". If you're a supporter of any project, you will always have to defend it against attacks from critics and detractors until said project has evolved up to a point where its very existence is already a sufficient defense.

Finally, you have to keep in mind that there are also cultural differences at play in how straightforward people are going to be in their comments, and regardless of nationality people are more assertive in keyboard communication.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post: