Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Argh. It resets on reboot?

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Denmark
I hope its okay that I've made a blog post about this on my own blog.

You can see it here: http://ostebaronen.dk/?p=16

Credits are on the bottom of the blogpost.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Reboot the device and then go into Control Panel -> Memory -> Virtual. I have increased my swap to 64MB and after a few hours of use it has usually swapped out 32+MB to swap and seems more responsive.
Well, that answered one of my questions ( I think) however when I go to my virtual memory, it is already at 128MB. What does this mean?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Should work on any linux, but i will recommend you to not go too up in the memory settings for the 770. Maybe half the browser cache will be good

I can confirm these settings are doing wonders for the 770 with OS2008HE

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-03-10 at 20:13.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
At some point soon I'm going to have to blow away my configs to get a feeling for the defaults again.
brontide, alternatively you could set up to dual boot from MMC and compare performance using an unmodified boot from flash to performance booting from an MMC OS that has your modifications.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
A couple questions:
user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay",2000);
Seems a bit harsh, unless you're on a slow connection? If it's the same as FF, that's in ms, so 2 seconds instead of 0.25 (default). I can see slowing it some, to reduce CPU load, but I'm thinking 1000 seems better. Else, if your page takes 2.01 s to arrive, you wouldn't see the final thing until 1.99 s later, or am I understanding this wrong?

user_pref("content.notify.interval", 1250000);
user_pref("content.notify.ontimer", true);
What are these doing? I googled briefly, and found people using them to speed FF up, but no explanations. Are there docs somewhere on this stuff?

Everything else made pretty good sense to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Thanks for those links, and the implied links to anything else in prefs.js. Looks like a great resource.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
nglayout seems a little harsh, but think about how long it takes most websites to load. The longer that initial paint is pushed off, the more data can be downloaded without contention from the rendering engine.

the other two, I can't even tell if they are working, but the theory is to increase the lag between reflows of the page while the data is being downloaded.

Personally I think the majority of the speedup probably come from the large memory cache and the reduction in max connections.

For the 770 I would probably choose a 4 or 6 mb cache rather than 8 because it has half the ram.

For the 770 I would probably choose a 4 or 6 mb cache rather than 8 because it has half the ram.
Yes, i chose 4 too.