Active Topics

I am a newbie----about 4 days old. I was wondering if there is a way to transfer files from a Palm Zire 72 to the N810.

Thx much.

Look up the Garnet VM. Its a PalmOS emulator for the n810. The you can just "restore" your zire into the Garnet VM and have the best of both your worlds, PalmOS and Maemo.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Originally Posted by Blackspeare View Post
I am a newbie----about 4 days old. I was wondering if there is a way to transfer files from a Palm Zire 72 to the N810.

Thx much.
if you dont want to use garnet there may be other ways = depending on the files

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
This is what I do to transfer files between N810 and Palm T3

WiFile to transfer stuff
Bluetooth with FileZ to transfer stuff
microSD card (with miniSD and SD adapter) to transfer stuff

Yea, thats pretty much it. Bluetooth is the best, but slowest...

Yep, Thesandlord covered it. When you transfer Contacts through BT, for example, it will show up on the N810 as <categoryname>.vcf, e.g. Business.vcf (if you transfer a Contacts category, for example), i.e. a plain vcard file.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Be advized though that e.g. GPE is very fussy about the format of the vcf file. I never managed to get my contacts BT-transferred and read by my N800; one too many returns in just one field in one record kills the import.

Then again, according to Nokia you're not supposed to do any PIMming on your tablet anyway, so there.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
If you base your "not supposed to" on what is supplied out of the box with the Nxxx series - then they are best used as a paperweight.

The whole idea is to make it do what it's not "supposed to".

- then again, why am I arguing with Karel

[fuzzy vcf handling]
Yes, there are often problems with vcf files. For example, vcf files from Palm Contacts would install without problems on S-E t630 phones, but fail on S-E k700 phones. Fix was to figure out which line it didn't like and remove it (therefore BT first to N800, then run sed- or grep script, then BT to phone). And don't get me started on sending the vcf file to a Nokia phone, or any phone running Windows w/Outlook - they only accept a single entry in the file.

The vcard format should really have been changed into an xml format, at least with xml there are rules (=just ignore tags you don't understand, instead of stopping the parsing).

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
The vcard format should really have been changed into an xml format, at least with xml there are rules (=just ignore tags you don't understand, instead of stopping the parsing).
Ah, but Nokia just loves the latter. See Application Mangler.

What files do you want to transfer? If they're not Palm .pdb files, just copy them to an SD card and put it in the Nokia. If you're running the GVM, then you can still just use the SD card. FileProg, Filez, or any other file manager will work for copying to the SD card. If the files are Palm files, and you don't use GVM, then what's the point? You can transfer them via the SD card, but the Nokia can't use them. In any case, using an SD card is the way I almost always do it.