Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@Jay: No, let's play it out

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Well I was just wondering what this piece is for

If it's to stoke more fire for iPhone vs FOSS, then I think we need new blood to take up the torch for that.. if you're hoping to enlighten anyone who hasn't 'seen your light', then it's obviously the wrong approach.. if it's just what your shrink ordered (write up your angst and share it), then it's just what the doctor ordered
Well i wrote this for some of my friends who have iphones. I just wanted to tell them what were the differences so that they will make educated decisions in the future....

I just copy pasted that text from there to this forum for anyone else who want to know why the n900 is such a big deal.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
So is this included in the box?
No, it was not. However, I got one (never used) because I was in line for 20 minutes for a very simple swap from the first gen to the 3G that was pre-arranged with the AT&T district manager.

Tethering has yet to be turned on with AT&T, that was correct. But it's there... if you know what you're looking for. No jailbreak necessary either.

Transferring files to other machines - either use AirSharing or DataCase. Swap files via wifi. I was quick enough to get AirSharing and DataCase for free when they first debut.

I can't say whether or not the iPhone has stereo sound or not - I just don't honestly know the correct spec - but there are two speakers at the bottom. But I'd never listen to those speakers for music... no way.

iPhone comes with Maps preloaded. Maps, GPS, and directions.

iPhone has internet calling - Fring, Nimbuzz, Skype and GV Mobile (I got it before it was pulled). All are free (there's a pay for version of GV Mobile).

The GSM and data bands... Apple supports all of the major ones in the US. Nokia N900 supports the T-Mobile only ones so far - talk about locked in.

There are probably a few other points, but those stood out. But honestly, great work sachin007.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@Jay: No, let's play it out
No way man. This is just creepy.

I got this wicked deja vu, and I'm in this other thread talkin about how the N900 stand is confused, sexually. (Start HERE and everything so far afterwards...)

I'm going to bed.

(don't mix rum and new device releases. trust me.)

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-08-28 at 08:18. Reason: added link

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Well i wrote this for some of my friends who have iphones. I just wanted to tell them what were the differences so that they will make educated decisions in the future....

I just copy pasted that text from there to this forum for anyone else who want to know why the n900 is such a big deal.
Are you sure you're trying to 'beat' them with hardware specs? It seems to me that you're trying to win their trust or friendship or something.. and this isn't really the way to do it.

@Jay: Save those rums, mate.. I think it's activating your clairvoyance ability Have a good nite

Last edited by ysss; 2009-08-28 at 08:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
... and lower price. An unlocked iPhone costs Eur 800 and an N900 Eur 600.

The Following User Says Thank You to skatebiker For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by skatebiker View Post
... and lower price. An unlocked iPhone costs Eur 800 and an N900 Eur 600.
One odd question. Since this is being sold in the US, with T-Mobile only GSM radios inside... can the N900 be honestly called "unlocked"?

I've been pondering that almost all day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
No, it was not. However, I got one (never used) because I was in line for 20 minutes for a very simple swap from the first gen to the 3G that was pre-arranged with the AT&T district manager.

Tethering has yet to be turned on with AT&T, that was correct. But it's there... if you know what you're looking for. No jailbreak necessary either.

Transferring files to other machines - either use AirSharing or DataCase. Swap files via wifi. I was quick enough to get AirSharing and DataCase for free when they first debut.

What about transfer between wifi less devices like another cell phone?

I can't say whether or not the iPhone has stereo sound or not - I just don't honestly know the correct spec - but there are two speakers at the bottom. But I'd never listen to those speakers for music... no way.

iPhone comes with Maps preloaded. Maps, GPS, and directions.

I never knew that. So it has a maps application?

iPhone has internet calling - Fring, Nimbuzz, Skype and GV Mobile (I got it before it was pulled). All are free (there's a pay for version of GV Mobile).

But they are useless to recieve calls because of the lack of multi tasking.

The GSM and data bands... Apple supports all of the major ones in the US. Nokia N900 supports the T-Mobile only ones so far - talk about locked in.

I was talking about 3G bands and as per the apple website there is no support for UMTS/HSDPA 1700 which is the t-mobile band.

There are probably a few other points, but those stood out. But honestly, great work sachin007.
Thanks. I will try to make the changes later.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Italy
Definitely, I am impressed. I was considering an iPhone, because of it applications...Now I will wait. Clearly, Apple hardware-software mix is mature and offers a lot of application I could use daily with my mac. What I really miss on my n82 or n800 is a "Getting Things Done" application that sync with Omnifocus: this option is easily available on thy iPhone. Mobile me works also fine. Nevertheless, on the n800, with fuse, I can use the iDisk with relative ease (BusyBox and Fuse required)...

But I am an heavy user of Voip, chat and Email... and the combination of n82 + n800 works great. This new toy looks like it's even better. I wonder how contact sync and cloud sync works...

Also I am looking forward if walking directions will work for free on n900 OVI. The iPhone uses the fantastic google database with amazing results (But maemo here keeps going thanks to the wonderful maemo mapper!). I am curious to see how OVI maps will do against google maps and streetview...

Wait and see... while putting some money apart

Toutes les informations utiles (pages encore en anglais) : Présentez-vous à la communauté , L'essentiel pour bien commencer, Débuter sur Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Le Wiki sur Maemo 5 (N900), La FAQ, Le sous-forum dédié aux communautés

En cas de souci, n'hésitez pas à me poser vos questions!

----------------

Benvenuto! Se hai bisogno di aiuto, sono a disposizione.
Ecco dove iniziare (in inglese):

Presentazioni dei nuovi iscritti,Primi passi per nuovi iscritti, Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 5 (N900), FAQ, Subforum della Comunità

In caso di dubbi o domande non esitare: contattami!

@gerbick: i think the term is 'no contract'.. the 3gs sells for $599 and $699 without contract in the us, but still locked to AT&T.

@sachin: i don't think you're qualified to write the comparison in the first place for:
a). not having owned the iphone for 1st hand knowledge, as can be seen with the numerous factual error
b). blatant hatred of apple and iphone (bias)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
comparison, iphone, look! a, n00 idiot, n900, n900 v. iphone war