Microsoft has indicated that Skype support for legacy platforms and OSes will be greatly reduced soon. Though they were not so kind as to give a date, they mention October 2016 as a deadline. Skype integration even without video is something I enjoy on my N9. I don't know if it will survive the latest purge.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
Microsoft has indicated that Skype support for legacy platforms and OSes will be greatly reduced soon. Though they were not so kind as to give a date, they mention October 2016 as a deadline. Skype integration even without video is something I enjoy on my N9. I don't know if it will survive the latest purge.
what is skype?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
what is skype?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psde2NYopOA

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Poland
It is possible to build alternative Skype client with integration similar to Extraplugins accounts UI or Nine2D. The problem is as usual the lack of interest & money. Skype integration was one of the top notch features I was so happy about. What's next? abandoning 2G? changing radio frequencies? Life is so brutal for nostalgic nerds like me

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to prosper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by prosper View Post
What's next? abandoning 2G?
In the USA AT&T has already depricated 2G and is pushing hard for LTE but at least there is 3G available for my N9.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
No alternatives will exist, unfortunate that this is happening. But it was inevitable. I'm sure somebody will talk about a replacement in the next year or so but after this long, nothing has appeared.

I do find it odd that even Windows Phone has been dropped.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
No alternatives will exist, unfortunate that this is happening. But it was inevitable. I'm sure somebody will talk about a replacement in the next year or so but after this long, nothing has appeared.

It seems to me that Microsoft has more or less dropped WP off their plans, nothing new comping up there, not even of their own protocols/applications.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
It seems to me that Microsoft has more or less dropped WP off their plans, nothing new comping up there, not even of their own protocols/applications.
It is called "admitting the defeat".

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

Skype & Windows Phone have quite a love story. Back during the Lumia 800 times the "official" Skype client didn't support backgrounding (i.e. cannot receive skype calls in other programs).

It never got upgraded.

I wish I could ditch Skype. If only so many academics weren't using it...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Skype & Windows Phone have quite a love story. Back during the Lumia 800 times the "official" Skype client didn't support backgrounding (i.e. cannot receive skype calls in other programs).

It never got upgraded.
Yikes. Funny how I had a Lumia 900 but never used Skype on it. Used it on my N9 instead.

I wish I could ditch Skype. If only so many academics weren't using it...
Weird... most academics I encounter are now using Hangouts first, Slack (text only) and then Skype as a distant third.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: