Closed Thread
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Thank you!

Does this mean that you're planning to have MeeGo coexist with Diablo via dual-booting?
Not planning but doing. You will need to flasher -l -k a kernel, ie, needing a PC to dual-boot but that's how it goes.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Keyboard doesn't work in X (we don't have HAL so we need a different method, probably udev)
Can you clarify this? Thanks.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Can you clarify this? Thanks.
Just that it doesn't pick up the keyboard. In /dev/input it's there just fine. In X, not sure why it isn't. Need to debug.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
So, now MeeGo 1.0 is out. This means we can actually build N810 images Keep in mind this is NOT yet M0. As in, charging does not work yet and various other issues.

Using or even testing this is at your own risk.

This is mostly to get people involved. It boots into a Xfce4 desktop. And only boots from external micro/miniSD.

Page for this is at http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N8x0 and we usually hang about #meego-arm (not for support, for development) on irc.freenode.net

I have placed the kickstart file at http://gitorious.org/meego-n8x0/imag...g/trees/master

Using MIC2 git HEAD and ARM support set up, you can do the following:

mic-image-creator -f raw -a armv5tel -c arm-n8x0.ks

This will generate a -sda.raw file and vmlinuz. -sda.raw you dd if=filename-sda.raw bs=1M of=/dev/your-sd-card and the vmlinuz file you flash or load to your N810 with flasher-3.5 -k vmlinuz -l -b

There are two repos,

http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/meego-n8x0/n8x0/

- contains the hardware adaptation packages + sources

http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/meego-n8x0/armv6vfp/

- contains glibc built for VFP.

For the really crazy people, I've uploaded a SD card image (bunzip2 and dd this to your >= 2gb microsd/minisd) and a linux 2.6.33 kernel to flash or load.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Germany
Very cool! Thank you.
I have to check whether there is something important on my sd card before testing. But I am crazy enough to try.
Is the filesystem btrfs?
Would be great to have a working alternative to diablo some day.

Originally Posted by andoreasu View Post
Very cool! Thank you.
I have to check whether there is something important on my sd card before testing. But I am crazy enough to try.
Is the filesystem btrfs?
Would be great to have a working alternative to diablo some day.
No, ext3 for now. When we've done the switch to btrfs on N900 I'll try it on N8x0 too I guess.

Can I boot meego, if I put the contents of the partition in the raw image in an ext3 partition on my sd card that is NOT the first partition?

(I have important data on the fist partition)

Originally Posted by andoreasu View Post
Can I boot meego, if I put the contents of the partition in the raw image in an ext3 partition on my sd card that is NOT the first partition?

(I have important data on the fist partition)
No, it boots to the first partition and it contains a partition table.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
No, it boots to the first partition and it contains a partition table.
Ok, I extracted the contents of your image, put them on partition 3, and after that I swapped partition number 1 and 3 in the partition table of my sd card while maintaining the start and end blocks. This way I was able to test meego without loosing data on the first (now third) partition.

And I think it looks very promising, and usable speed-wise (at least after I turned display compositing off).

Looking forward to what is coming.

EDIT:
just for the record, this is how I extract contents of raw images:

sudo kpartx meego-1.0-arm-n8x0-201005270252-sda.raw -a
sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop0p1 /mnt
sudo cp -raf /mnt/* /target_mount_point/

Last edited by andoreasu; 2010-05-27 at 20:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andoreasu For This Useful Post:
I am planning to get a build environment myself, I guess I just need a "meego sdk" and your .ks file that will access your repositories, right?

I am convinced that I can figure it out all by myself, but if you have a link to a howto, or something like that it could save me some time (especially since I only own low power fanless machines - building crap would be a loss of much time)

Closed Thread

Tags
hardware adaptation, meego