Posts: 192 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Austin, Tx
Recently I have been getting an odd error.

When I get an SMS/MMS I grab my phone and look at the message preview on the lock screen, it shows who the message is from and the preview, like normal.

BUT if I go to the messaging app, it will show the same message but it thinks that it came from another contact. This only happens with certain contacts.

If I delete any of the message bubbles in the thread the contact information will change and show the correct contact name.

It is a very odd bug/error and like I said doesnt always happen and not always on the same contact.

I think the problem started when I tried to free up application data space when I started getting the popup that I couldnt download MMS because my memory was full.

I have searched on here and other Meego/Maemo forums for similar issues, but no luck.

Please help.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
What did you do to free application data space? Uninstall programs the regular way, I guess?

I would guess there's a problem with tracker, which is too bad, since fixing tracker database problems is like equine medicine: shoot it. Which is to say doing a tracker database reset and killing all your contacts, messages, etc on the phone. Maybe someone else has a better idea, but I'm pessimistic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 192 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Austin, Tx
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
What did you do to free application data space? Uninstall programs the regular way, I guess?

I would guess there's a problem with tracker, which is too bad, since fixing tracker database problems is like equine medicine: shoot it. Which is to say doing a tracker database reset and killing all your contacts, messages, etc on the phone. Maybe someone else has a better idea, but I'm pessimistic.
I started uninstalling things that I really didnt use and it didnt really budge.

I think where it might have gone wrong is that I tried to delete everything in MMS.

Most of my app data was being used up by my tons of email in the .qmf folder

I might just do the tracker database reset. How do you do that? I remember seeing a thread about doing something along those lines in my search for the solution, but cant find it. I think I didnt bookmark or subscribe

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
To reset the tracker:

Code:
tracker-control --soft-reset
or if that's not enough . . .
Code:
tracker-control --hard-reset
with the caveat that all your messages and contacts will be deleted. It's a "take off and nuke it from orbit" kind of solution. Probably a good idea to have a backup, but unfortunately restoring might just restore the corruption, too.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
This is a recurrent error which I avoid by deleting messages when there are to many. The only problem.... You practically won'thave a message history. Personally I just keep the most recent ones