Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Games.

10ch
Be more specific...

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Be more specific...
Cool games.

Come on, you can dream up some of that yourself. And often you see that new technology sparks new inventions. I've seen multiple new wireless things, which thanks to the extreme low power requirements of bluetooth 4 are finally capable of directly communicating with smartphones.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
LOL I am not saying its bad going OpenES3.0 but thing is people does not give me any hints why its so damn important with this. STILL no one has answered what apps using OpenES3.0 API:s....
What new cool apps will we see cause of OpenES 3.0 etc...?

Also its funny that you give me link to someone who dislike Wayland and Qt5. Wayland is a mut if we wants latest and greatest 3D stuff escpecially cause of Android only drivers (means they have to use libhybris)
lol, and you haven't grasped that i am not talking about a game or app today, i am talking about the speed at which development in general will adopt those new standards tomorrow.

what he said was irrelevant, i was was quoting you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I guess a nice comparison of the new and changed features of OpenGL 3.0 vs 2.0 might break this stalemate.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I guess a nice comparison of the new and changed features of OpenGL 3.0 vs 2.0 might break this stalemate.
my pleasure:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6134/k...ression-clu/2/

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
It's a must be for me. Unless we want to be stuck with an obsolete base which has problems supporting newer stuff, like Maemo has an obsolete x11 (but this is software related so opengl is worse) or thumb2-incompatible soc

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Not commenting any details about the actual hw. Your feedback has been read. Some people will be pleased and some people will never be pleased to anything short of a 200fps space rocket.

Just saying that even if hw would support fancy new things like BT4.0, ES X.0, its more about the fact what android adaptations are available through libhybris and when, and what core version open source components like bluez support. If you want to wait for months for some adaptation to stabilise or Android 4.3 to appear for specific SoC, then your not going to get the device this year. And I think that we all want to have the device this year, don't we?

Of course its nice if HW supports new things, and you can participate on Mer/Nemo projects to update middleware to support software features even if some of your 'must have, cannot live without vibrating earpiece' are missing from PR1.0.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
If you want to wait for months for some adaptation to stabilise or Android 4.3 to appear for specific SoC, then your not going to get the device this year. And I think that we all want to have the device this year, don't we?

i do indeed want a sailfish phone this year, and "waiting" until OpenGL ES 3.0 drivers were available via libhybis for the chosen SoC would be silly.

but i only propose that a compliant SoC is chosen, and then adopt the driver once that arrives, in order that the whole jolla platform is openGL ES 3.0 compliant eventually.

i realise at this point the hardware i probably fixed, and the choices at the time may have made the rational choice impossible, i only ask that they consider it.

Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 2013-07-23 at 09:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
And maybe (might be stupid idea) we could get a SoC supporting ES 3.0, but still use libhybris providing 2.0 only? ES 3.0 compat would be provided later

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
The problem seems to be a difference in viewpoint.

Some are arguing: invest in the software first, and push it out when hardware/conditions are ready.
Others are arguing: push out the hardware first, then make a software update.

I think Linux needs a fresh re-boot.
It needs the best software available, with the best UX available. That means cutting out 95% of everything else, breaking compatibility to pave a new way for the ecosystem to thrive.

However, we tried this before quite a few times and failed.

Pushing out the dedicated hardware has been hard, neigh impossible.
So its better to push out half-assed hardware with half-assed software and advance.
Is it though?
No. We've also tried this method.

The best method is Android.
Say what you want but Google is twelve steps ahead of Linux.

Open Source philosophy is what drags Linux down.
Android is not open source.
Its closed source dictated by one company.
But the company has good direction, and later opens up the source.
Its a hybrid approach, and one much suited for this world.

We need the same muscle and philosophy Google uses on Android, except one for true Linux systems.
Nokia was meant to be it.
The N900 successor was meant to be a qwerty-tilt device with competitive hardware and superior software.
Yet the N9 we dreamt was trashed, and we got a bastardized iPhone competitor.

At this point, I'm just giving up hope.
Maybe Linux could catch a break. Maybe. Who knows.
I'm simply not holding my breath anymore, my phones will no longer be mobile computers but "fun gadgets" instead.

I'm flattered