Closed Thread
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
dirkvl: You are an absolute genius, I take a bow for you and this absolutely outstanding community.
I haven't donated, I have kids to feed ;-). But I will sure pay if this keyboard comes to reality.

Is there ANY community on the net so dedicated and technically sharp? I doubt it.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Massachusetts
LOL dude.. why are you using the Milestone's QWERTY? There's not even a "Ctrl" key on there! ..and I prefer to have the D-pad on the left side like the N810

So I heard that MILESTONE's keyboard is one that fits this project. Is that true?

You guys ever contemplated on 3D-printing out customized keyboards for this project? 'cause I wanna design something like a cross between the N810 and N950's keyboard, and have it fit this OtherHalf.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Roth View Post
LOL dude.. why are you using the Milestone's QWERTY? There's not even a "Ctrl" key on there! .
LOL dude... there is no escape key on the N900, guess what, doesn't stop me from having it, magic! I actually like the fact there are so many 'useless' keys (and double alt! no more finger yoga problems with ctrl-a/d/c/z/x Woot!!!)

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Massachusetts
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
LOL dude... there is no escape key on the N900, guess what, doesn't stop me from having it, magic! I actually like the fact there are so many 'useless' keys (and double alt! no more finger yoga problems with ctrl-a/d/c/z/x Woot!!!)
I don't know about you, but I'd rather have those duplicate keys assigned to something else. I'm sure there would be an app to change/customize the keyboard layout to address those issues.
but that D-pad placement tho..

So yeah, like I said earlier, would a custom 3D-printed keyboard be considered for this or maybe a future project?

The Following User Says Thank You to Roth For This Useful Post:
I don't know about you, but I'd rather have those duplicate keys assigned to something else. I'm sure there would be an app to change/customize the keyboard layout to address those issues.
but that D-pad placement tho..

So yeah, like I said earlier, would a custom 3D-printed keyboard be considered for this or maybe a future project?
What's with the D-pad placement? Got used to having pc keyboards with arrows on the right and N900. I just hope up+left/right will be easier than on N900, all those emulator games would become an option suddenly.

Edit: and as to the keys, yes that's the whole idea. That looking glass key can be your ctrl/esc and second alt does not have to have the same function, chip will recognize which was clicked, so instead of 3 extra keys like with N900 you get (hmm, are those blanks in each lower corner buttons?) more

Last edited by szopin; 2014-01-24 at 20:42.

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by tmojo View Post
as much as I wait for a keyboard-OTH and I'm delighted on your initiative, I'm not sure about your current design.
LOL dude.. why are you using the Milestone's QWERTY?
The reasons for this are repeated a lot of times in this thread! But -again- a quick recap: availability of both the keyboard and domesheet and ease of construction. A lot of suggestions resulted in keyboards that were not even for sale. Also, the way the a855 kb is made will result in a very simple and strong part.

would a custom 3D-printed keyboard be considered for this or maybe a future project?
Totally, ATM this is beyond my capabilities. I will consider every option, but for this batch the design is made. If you can supply me with 100 custom keyboards and dome-sheets, than that is a different scenario.

For more questions in this category, please read the last few pages of this thread. There a some questions that keep coming back

[s]http://iprototype.nl/products/compon...Slide-Joystick
Would this work for a joystick? Or is it too big?[/s]

If I'm correct there's only about 8 mm left on each side of the device?
According to the data I found the motorola droid is 116 mm wide, the jolla 131. 15 mm surplus, which means 7.5 mm on each side surplus. That means no real space left for a d-pad.

Last edited by nanderv; 2014-01-24 at 22:07.

Originally Posted by nanderv View Post
http://iprototype.nl/products/compon...Slide-Joystick
Would this work for a joystick? Or is it too big?

Same question
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
The keyboard is 1mm thick, so the pcb top surface is 1mm below the surface. So for SMT parts there is 1mm room. For parts next to the pcb about 2.5 mm.
Price/availability? Dimensions? Additional hw to get this working?
As stated before, the key in building a successful qwerty-oh is using of-the-shelf products!
So, no.

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Well, I wouldn't mind if the keyboard was not perfectly centered. I don't care at all, actually, as it won't change usability (software side may, however, change usability a lot). But I would have no use of the joystick anyway.

Perhaps some hard keys could be sticked in the extra space, like small on/off switches that could be later assigned to functions of the default Settings application via scripts (WiFi, 3G, prevent autolockscreen, profiles on a 3-position switch, and so on)? Something like that, or smaller.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2014-01-24 at 22:18.

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Well, I wouldn't mind if the keyboard was not perfectly centered. I don't care at all, actually, as it won't change usability (software side may, however, change usability a lot). But I would have no use of the joystick anyway.

Perhaps some hard keys could be sticked in the extra space, like small on/off switches that could be later assigned to functions of the default Settings application via scripts (WiFi, 3G, prevent autolockscreen, profiles on a 3-position switch, and so on)?
All very good ideas for a later version. The design for this one is determined and almost all parts are ordered. No change in keyboard or layout from this point on!

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-01-24 at 22:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
keyboard, limited-edition, otherhalf, qwerty