Active Topics

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
Is it safe connect to free Wi-Fi hotspots with N800?

Or is there possibility that ´someone comes in..´..

Does N800 have firewall?

Has anyone tryed N800 at Shield UP page that try get information of your computer and test if its secure?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mika73 For This Useful Post:
If by "?unknown?", you mean unprotected wireless hotspots you come across, then probably theres probably no risk as such. Even if there were some sort of malicious intention behind these hotspots, you are using a linux device and seeing as far the most malicious exploits are targetet at microsoft products you are propably safe.
However, if you are indeed talking about private unprotected hotspots, then you might be doing an illegal activity if you connect. Im pretty sure that in most countries unauthorized acces to hotspots is a crime along the lines of breaking and entering. How you would ever be discovered and punished is a completely different matter, so i guess its up to your moral beliefs

Last edited by pixl; 2007-03-22 at 13:36.

Yeah. What pixl said.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
with xterm installed, you can run a quick `netstat -nat` to see what ports your listening on.

6000 is the X server
53 is DNS

i run ssh client and server (OpenSSH) on mine so i see port 22 which is SSH.
mine is also listening on 4555, but i think that is related to X as well. other than that, i doubt there is much to exploit. i dont think there is an iptables or shorewall firewall in place.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Some citys (even at Finland) there is Wlan city network where you can connect and some cafe shops and hamburgerbars also have wifi for customers. I almost forgot Assembly computer demo party.. Party network is full of hackers..

I know that pc(windows) is totally unsafe if there is no firewall.. But I guess that Linux is not totally safe either, if its not configured correct and these days firewall is important.

If someone has network connection for N800 that has no firewall. It would be very intresting test this..

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Atleast I am intrested what information my N800 lets out..

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Toulouse, France
Originally Posted by pixl View Post
Im pretty sure that in most countries unauthorized acces to hotspots is a crime along the lines of breaking and entering.
How do you know whether access is "unauthorized" or not? I've left my wireless access point unprotected simply because I don't mind other people using my bandwidth. However, I haven't changed the SSID to "Free_hotspot". So am I authorizing people to use it or not, and how could they tell the difference anyway?

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
the law attempts to cover those who try and secure their networks against unauthorized access. if you change the root passwd on your device, it shows that you are trying to limit access and you can claim you do not want "visitors" on your network. if you use encryption or MAC filtering, you can make that claim as well. if you leave the device as is, out of the box, it becomes harder to make that claim.

being that the law cannot force you to secure your wifi, the is room for interpretation, and i would guess that the intent of the visitor would come into play in the case where unauthorized access was gained to a default configured AP.

Many of the commercially available free wifi connections have a registration page which contains some sort of EULA, that acts to indemnify the hosting party, and designate their service as "free".
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

http://www.fon.com/en/info/whatsFon

This is also intresting Wlan share project.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2007 @ A moon of planet Nokia
You can never trust an open wlan. For example: I run a (multi homed) proxy on my lan with a optional redirecting honeypot. It logs all trafic.
You would never know.
FYI: I have no bad intentions, I just want to know what is going on on my lan.
(I could use the honeypot to get back at you if I wanted...)

But I agree, 99% of all open wlans are safe.

is that a honeypot or a tar-pit?
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless