My N900 is the worst phone in the world. Many will say go buy an iphone, not another of these threads and bla bla bla. However, after missing one too many an important call in the last 6 months on a device I paid over $600 calls I have to voice my frustrations.

I am not talking about the cool and wonderful things the N900 can do like being connected to every conceivable chat engine at the same time and integration through the super conversations app. Nor the full web browser. Nor Conboy which is the coolest thing since sliced bread. Nor all the other super cool geek stuff the linux pros can do that I could not even dream of.

I am not even talking about the fact that the phone app is missing the most basic functions that we have had in Nokia phones for over 10 years now such as per contact ring tones, a proper call log, etc. Nor the fact that the call volume is not anywhere close to the level of the N95.

No what I am talking about is its basic functionality as a phone. I am not even refering to all N900s in general. I am talking about my N900. It is well and truly the worst phone in the world.

Now let me list why (and I just reflashed my phone recently by the way so that is not the solution/problem):

1. If I am watching video then I absolutely can't receive calls. I just get a missed call yellow notification flash up on screen.

2. That is bad but what is even worse is it sometimes happens even if I am not watching video. Phone doesn't ring. Just get missed call notification.

3. If I receive a call when the keyboard is open I dare not close the keyboard before answering the call because the 100 years the device takes to switch from landscape to portrait leaves me with a blank screen for so long that by the time the screen finally lights up the call has gone to voice mail. So I now have to make sure I answer before closing the keyboard.

4. Even when I don't have to switch from landscape to portrait I am very often left with a blank screen and a ringing phone. And no I am not covering the proximity sensor. It happens even when the device is on the table.

5. Very often when I miraculously get the answer button light up I press it and the button just freezes up.

6. I can't use the phone on speaker because the speaker volume is so terrible.

There is of course the fact that I have to charge the phone twice a day. I could of course disable connections and not use any of the cool stuff and it would last me through the day but then I would be left with nothing but the worst phone in the world. Better to use all the cool stuff and know I have a good device rather than a crap phone.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
cheese for the whine?

if you dont like the phone sell it, simple.

The Following User Says Thank You to skunkonkrunk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
I don't really understand this thread.
From your problems, you either 1) have calls set to go to voicemail within like 5 seconds, or 2) have a broken phone.
If it's 1, it's not the phone's problem, if it's 2, why are you venting about it here instead of sending it to nokia to get fixed/replaced?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
Did you flash the latest fw?

We can' do anything about your phone. Get in contact with Nokia.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Better to use all the cool stuff and know I have a good device rather than a crap phone.
Why does everybody still thinking that the N900 is a phone!?

The N900 is NOT a phone!
It's an internet tablet WITH calling options etc!

do your homework guys before starting to talk sh*t!!!!!
sorry, but this kind of threads makes me angry now....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
SAD T_T... let the offers begin....

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
I fully agree with you. As much as I love the N900, the interaction between some parts of the device really is poor. There is no proper priority handling, Nokia didn't do their homework in this area. I especially "hate" how e.g. tracker (the indexer) completely blocks interaction with the device for a minute or so just because it "thinks" I'm doing nothing and uses 85-90% of the CPU.
The same goes with the phone calls (e.g. transitions, orientation switching) - you never know how long it will takes this time and the visual appearance gives you time for doubts.
Or the sometimes heavily stuttering audio when receiving a message (d-d-d-d-d-d-d-ding).

All this shouldn't happen. It is just wrong - because the moment I touch the screen, press a key or get a call, everything else must slow down and resources must become available to handle the high-priority tasks.

Now of course, your thread title might be more precise and less provocative :-)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Your reply makes ME angry. Even if its primary function is not to be a phone, there is something on the N900 called a phone. It should act like a phone.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
In regards to the first few replies in the thread above, the nasty level some in this "community" have sunk to is galling ^^

To OP, I can understand your frustrations - it certainly sounds like the worst phone in the world. I don't know where you are located and where you bought your handset, have you reached out already to the store/Nokia to enquire about a repair/replacement? If you've already reflashed it, there isn't really much else you can do with it. I hope you'll get it sorted via warranty

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Fair enough a few of your comments raise valid points (e.g. missing calls when watching video - maybe it is by design? Ideally an option to toggle this behaviour would have been nice)

Also the phone app sometimes takes ages to start up.

I am not talking about the cool and wonderful things the N900 can do like being connected to every conceivable chat engine at the same time and integration through the super conversations app. Nor the full web browser. Nor Conboy which is the coolest thing since sliced bread. Nor all the other super cool geek stuff the linux pros can do that I could not even dream of.
This is a major selling point of the n900 to many people.

However, when I was considering buying a new phone it came down to two choices - android or n900.

One of the factors I considered was "Android has better phone functionality and n900 has very basic phone functionality"

But I needed something more PDA-like, the phone app was not a major priority so I decided to get the n900 and happy to make that compromise.

Your thread title is a little troll-like then n900 is not the "worst phone in the world".

This is...

And there is no portrait mode.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:

Tags
kill the infidels, n900 != phone, troll thread, unproductive thread, worst thread ever