Posts: 72 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Norway
Originally Posted by dubliner View Post
Bonus question: Once you've listened to a podcast, how do you get rid of the file? On the N900 there was a menu dialogue to expire old downloads which I found very handy. Couldn't find anything similar with the Sailfish version, though.
I changed how I use gpodder when I went from Nokia to Jolla.
Now I check for new episodes, manually select and download episodes (at home). After I have listen to an episode I usually delete it manually unless I want to keep it for longer.

PS! I have made a softlink from /home/nemo/.local/share/harbour-org.gpodder.sailfish to a harbour-org.gpodder.sailfish folder on the SD card (/media/sdcard/....) so gpodder download files to the SD card (this folder use 17GB for me now).

Last edited by hhbbap; 2017-01-05 at 21:40. Reason: be more specific vs. 17GB

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hhbbap For This Useful Post:
Thank you, hhbbap, that was really a good idea. I can confirm that my settings.json is, indeed, identical.

Originally Posted by hhbbap View Post
The mediaplayer starts where the indicator of how much is played ends. Do you see these purple lines in your gpodder?
Yes, I see these lines and they apparantly point to the right position. However, when I tap the play icon, sometimes it just starts from the beginning anyway. I'll keep an eye on it as more podcast episodes come in (only tried a couple).

Originally Posted by hhbbap View Post
Now I check for new episodes, manually select and download episodes (at home). After I have listen to an episode I usually delete it manually unless I want to keep it for longer.
Actually, I tried the same thing, including adding a softlink to ~/Music/gpodder. Which media player do you use? I tried Talefish (which BTW is a wonderful project on its own accord), but it seemed like the directory based approach of Talefish's playlist was "confused" by the constant adding and removing of audio files. However, just this morning velox released a new version with enqueing capabilities. I'll test it as soon as new podcast episodes arrive.

Just a very quick update. According to Thomas, who designed gPodder, the problem may lie with the underlying infrastructure (Qt MultimediaKit using GStreamer).

Is there a way we could upgrade the GStreamer components (gst-av etc.) to a newer version?

Also he suggested we should try the Android version. If the problem does not occur there, it must be the multimediakit. Unfortunately, I do not have an Android device.

The android version has the same problem on some files.
Overall comparing the android version to the sailfishos version the latter seems much more mature.

It saves the last state of the file playback even if oom killer kills it.
On Android if the app gets killed I need to start from the beginning.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
The android version has the same problem on some files.
@llelectronics, thanks for looking into this.

@all, I was wondering whether any of the developers among you could maybe take a quick look at this file?

https://github.com/gpodder/gpodder-u...erPlayback.qml

It's where gPodder saves the positions within audio files.

In particular it might be interesting to see in what ways it differs from Talefish, where saving positions has been working flawlessly.

To build gPodder from source, you may want to follow these instructions detailed by Thomas.

https://github.com/gpodder/gpodder-sailfish/issues/46

According to Thomas the Sailfish and Android versions ought to be comparable (the same?). He suspects gstreamer to be at fault. Updating gst-av etc. might be an option (if I only knew how).

The Following User Says Thank You to dubliner For This Useful Post:
In particular it might be interesting to see in what ways it differs from Talefish, where saving positions has been working flawlessly.
I don't think Talefish is comparable in this regard, because gPodder is a lot more complex. From a quick glance, I gathered it passes the value through signals and to python, where it's stored somewhere – didn't have the time or python-fu to check further. Talefish just sets it in a QML Object ("Appstate"), which is auto-saved to LocalStorage once in a while or on app exit.
According to Thomas the Sailfish and Android versions ought to be comparable (the same?). He suspects gstreamer to be at fault. Updating gst-av etc. might be an option (if I only knew how).
Assuming the correct values are saved (which they should as long as some kind of progress output behaves correctly in the gui), perhaps the initially scanned duration of the file is wrong and so gpodder thinks there's no way to seek that far into a file? (Please note I'm pulling all of this out of my… brain without checking and I have not even used gPodder in a while. So I could be utterly and completely wrong here!)
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

Last edited by velox; 2017-02-07 at 23:48. Reason: clear up talefish stuff

Tags
gpodder, sailfish