Active Topics

Somebody know can be change the n900's CPU to higher model?

--not by overclocking, by change hardware-

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Liverpool, UK
You'll need to be a fully qualified wizard.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adamFsmith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ United States
This is impossible, and further more pointless.

i guess someone should make all these new harware for n900 since we know there is no better OS other maemo and nokia is not planning any new handset for maemo.

in short we want our belove handset to be update with hardware like

HD video recording.
Multitouch lcdscreen
2MP front cam.
native video calling(i dont care about cost)
1 ghz to 1.5 ghz cup without overclock.

it nokia can do it. then creat a cellphone with Maemo not meego that has all new update goodes.

i love mulitasking Maemo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salcykhan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by salcykhan View Post
i guess someone should make all these new harware for n900 since we know there is no better OS other maemo and nokia is not planning any new handset for maemo.

in short we want our belove handset to be update with hardware like

HD video recording.
Multitouch lcdscreen
2MP front cam.
native video calling(i dont care about cost)
1 ghz to 1.5 ghz cup without overclock.

it nokia can do it. then creat a cellphone with Maemo not meego that has all new update goodes.

i love mulitasking Maemo.
If that would just be possible... would be freakin awesome. Maybe then the whatsapp faggots could port it =[

That phone would be an insta-buy

The Following User Says Thank You to tim_de_wolf For This Useful Post:
i did look at getting a beagleboard or similar with the aim of putting together hardware with the best open source support. the goal would have been to rebuild maemo either from source or rebased on a newer debian version/meego. the hardware choices would have been to allow remaining closed source driver issues to be resolved, hopefully removing reliance on closed source apps in the progress by reimplementation or using open source alternatives.

unfortunately i never got past looking for parts. dev boards had slower processors than desired, no a big deal breaker. found several cellular modems, apparently with drivers. wlan + bluetooth + gps + accelerometer + compass on a chip. storage i think was covered as well. Only needed screen and input.

the real issue is documentation. i'm not gonna go out and splash out cash on components without a decent guide in getting all of it up and running afterwards. pc building is simple, chuck in parts, install os and drivers and off you go. instead you need to get core os installed and booting, you need to set up telephony stack. you need to get the audio inputs and outputs correctly set up to work with it. you need to build applications/libraries to use it. then there's power optimizations.

some dev boards integrate more than others, i think a SE one had a modem, but are the compoents the best choice for support. the final hurdle, as smoku will tell you, is sorting out your own system-on-a-chip. having a working dev board is great but your not going to take that out and about with you.

this is not my area of expertise, so what little documentation there is is above me. I work in a pool. maybe someone with a little more experience would have more sucess.

Originally Posted by tim_de_wolf View Post
If that would just be possible... would be freakin awesome. Maybe then the whatsapp faggots could port it =[

That phone would be an insta-buy

My wish list is just wish list.

since no company is looking for maemo, then some should built part for n900 that can fitted on it.

come on hacker do somthing.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Finland
I really don't know and hadn't yet found out by myself. But is it possible to run maemo on nokia n950? Maybe if everyone who own n900 now would be interested to put a little money for n950 if nokia would product a little more of these devices...?

Dreaming is allways allowed ! :]

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
even if it was possible it would be like retofiting a celeron board to use a core i5

i think the only chance we have is to pick a new phone and try to get maemo to run but with alll the closed parts of maemo it would take a hell of alot of coding

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Finland
yeah :/ Maybe if the community begins to put some pressure on Nokia, the we could have slightly 0,1 % chance But i think there already is a lot of questions for Nokia from this subject.