Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
http://thedroidreview.com/meizu-sets...-edition-12767

This poorly written article gives a little (very little) info about the latest Ubuntu phone to be not quite released yet.

Sample text:
This trend however was broken with the introduction of the Pro 6 variant as it featured a Helio X25 processor instead of the expected Exynos processor from Samsung as the Pro series of device featured an Exynos processor whereas the MX line were usually powered by MediaTek’s chipsets.
Would be nice if it did really get released, since the Meizu PRO 5 ubuntu edition looks like it is permanently sold out.

And another article from "Press Insider Daily," whose journalists are paid by the word and whose Taboo word for today is "camera".

Last edited by robthebold; 2016-07-12 at 14:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
They had my money for the MX4 Ubuntu edition - lovely hardware, shame about the OS. Won't go there again.

Now if they sold it with a supported Jolla firmware...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
They had my money for the MX4 Ubuntu edition - lovely hardware, shame about the OS. Won't go there again.

But Ubuntu is getting more interesting whilst Sailfish isn't.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
'More interesting' = more shiny toys.

Shame that they haven't bothered start by making a competent phone.

First thing I found (and filed as a bug) is that the ringer volume can get turned down while the phone is off in your pocket.
Last time I looked, they were still discussing the scheme for what apps can control the volume, and when, and where it should appear in the menus.

Still hopeless, too many inconsistent ways to do things, or one well hidden way of doing an obvious thing - like closing an app.

Reading an SMS... you can read it in the messages app, or in the messages 'scope'. Both headline the screen with 'Messages' but look very different and act differently. Fine, if you are an enthusiast, and concentrating on your shiny toy. But it's a shambles if you just want a device that helps you get through the workday, and maybe hack the odd python script, ssh into a remote box or something occasionally.

Jolla 1 felt 100% more finished and polished on day 1, and it's only got better since then. Can't wait for my JollaC (battery on my jolla is on the way out, and the ringer is now unreliable). Given an official port to Fairphone, I could be very tempted to jump that way, even allowing for the premium price for sub premium hardware.

Rant over, back to silent mode...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by epninety View Post

Was it possible to flash a vanilla Android onto your Meizu? Or were you stuck with Ubuntu?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Mine is still on Ubuntu... I've got no use for an android phone

I've read of others (probably on this forum) trying it, I don't know if they were successful.

I sound really down on Ubuntu Touch, I really don't mean to be. I do feel that we didn't get what was suggested, and I'm disappointed at the direction and level of progress.

I could rant further, but I won't. I really wish the whole project well. I love Ubuntu on my desktop, but the only ubuntu-like feature I find on the phone is the ubuntu icon and the colour scheme (and they even changed that recently to the surprise of their members of their own dev forum).

If I had one suggestion for Jolla... they should find the guy(s) that wrote Dekko (email client) on the UT, send him a free JollaC and a large bottle of his favourite tipple, and ask him to port it to Sailfish.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
But Ubuntu is getting more interesting whilst Sailfish isn't.
Mmh when I compare my BQ 4.5 with my Jolla and Ubuntu Touch with SailfishOS I want to keep the BQ with SailfishOS ;-)

Ubuntu Touch is far from being a finished product and unusable as a daily driver - the email app is only checking for new mail while opened (and not even then reliable) the GPS fails regularly when wifi is activated, the calendar is even more basic then the sailfish one and if you don't use google mail (you might think that most people who are opting for an alternative OS don't ) CalDAV and CardDAV are only supported via syncevolution and the terminal - etc etc

Don't get me wrong - fingers crossed for the evolution of Ubuntu Touch (not the unfortunate way of FFOS) we need more alternatives on mobile devices but it's still a long way to go (but nevertheless fun to play with ;-) ) and if you are looking for an OS that runs you through a working day SailfishOS is imho the far better option

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
I understand OTA-12, which has just been released, enables you to install and run X desktop applications on your Ubuntu phone (in phone mode as well as with miracast).

Would one of you guys that has an Ubuntu phone be kind enough to tell me what version(s) of Python are available (is it preinstalled?) and which, if any, of the standard ui options (tkinter, wxPython, PyQt, PyGTK) works both in phone mode and with miracast?

Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
U Phone is not a bad thing. But too many things are missing. No Syncronistation except with a google account. What a joke.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I saw this today: Ubuntu Touch OTA-13 Update Coming in Fall which hints that the MX6 Ubuntu Edition will be coming in August with OTA-13 since it includes updated hardware support (presumably for the MX6).

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post: