Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
exactly.

in the end ...a handheld device running linux ...whether it be a phone or not...will always be viable...
what it looks like...what is under the hood...etc...is a different issue..

Maemo os ...if it is not liberated from its constraining shackles will perish for good.
Porting it to a device or a couple of devices isn't enough.
Mainstreaming it to slide effortlessly on top of devuan or debian (proper) means maemo never dies. It can use any program debian has, can be kept current more easily, will bring old users back and many more new users ...with the potential to have more users than in total the arm based devices did...
We can bide our time as a proper os as well...wait until devices come around which fit our needs and make an arm derivative to utilize on handhelds again.

The maemo os ....the software ...and more... the life expectancy of the community itself is at stake here....if we do not tackle the core issue.

Hoping on any single manufacturer or any single device or (even if we luck out) device line to save maemo os ....save the community from extinction is a very narrow view ...narrow hope....with an inevitable at the end of it ...if we pin hopes on a specific physical device.
Pinning hopes for maemo on a device to save our community and os is just staving off the inevitable ...temporarily ...

If ever "Maemo OS " 32 and 64 bit ....shows up on distrowatch ...
That is the day I erase all my other distros from their hard drives...and just happily use Maemo on all my laptops ...for the rest of my days.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2017-07-21 at 11:38.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
endsormeans,
I agree Maemo5 is a great UI for phones and tablets, I sometimes even VNC my N900 screen onto my LineageOS tablet.
I would probably keep Gnome-flashback on my laptop though.
How hard would it be to hack curent KDE into a Maemo flavored touch UI fork? Throw that onto ARM Debian and you would only rarely notice the difference from full Maemo5.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
I do the same actually...vnc to my toshiba portege m780's ....it is far easier to work with than a 3.5 display at the rez it has.

I saw a fellow who fiddled and made windows and folders for his distro with the old maemo 4 look...
looked superb.
He posted them somewhere...

There was the old work done on maemo 5 ....with gnome..on laptops and tablets...
decent success...
Not sure why it was abandoned ...maybe hit a few walls....or there wasn't interest at the time...

Now it is a different matter...we are dealing with the survival of the os.

And there is no guarantee IF the neo gets done...that it will run an altered form of maemo ...at all...

That is a lot of hoping ...a lot of "Ifs" ....to gamble on....that maemo will luck out and run on about 200-400 devices...

If it does work out...the death knell of maemo will sound...
With a community of aging and dying n900's ...and only the neo being able to run a derivative ....Maemo is done...development is done...
A community cannot survive on 200- 400 people....for long...

Maemo 5 is done....I should say....

Maemo 4 and the devices are running strong...
tanks....
But there aren't a ton of people there ...and so that impacts devel.

Gotta get the os off arm.
get it on generic 86_64 32bit 64bit.... it very well could reverse the damage to community numbers and devel and maintenance....
Well, there is a reason why there are no decent mobile x86/64 devices out there:

Intel is the only company producing (kinda) mobile x86/64 cpus/apus. (AMD isn't even an option when it comes to phones.)

Intel isn't interested in the smartphone market at all.
They tried and kinda failed.
x86/64 simply isn't made for mobile devices.
Altough Intels latest chips do perform quite well power and efficiency wise, they still don't come close to ARM, in that regard.
Ultrabooks, tablets and MS Surface-line are a different pony, obviously.
You can't cheap out on power&efficiency when it comes to smartphones.

If x86/64 was that much better than ARM, like you make it sound to be, there would be more mobile devices running on x86/64-silicone, or am I wrong?
If that was the case, Jolla, Canonical or Mozilla, for example, wouldn't have chosen ARM for their operating systems.

ARM, with its many competitors; which push for offering the best mobile chipset, proven suitability for mobile devices, linux-friendlier nature, is the only hope for Maemo.

So we're better off, waiting for a open device with an open ARM chipset.

(Hi Chen)

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Nice to see that discussion about Neo900 is starting again.

The project started as an N900 with more RAM and newer CPU, nothing else.
I would actually now be interested, which features of this phone might be most interesting or most important for buyers. Hardware specs might not be so important for most buyers. Example: Nobody complained about "only" 1 GB RAM in iphone 6, it was even no problem that the amount of RAM was not publicly announced by Apple.

Is it...
... usage of linux package management on your phone (apt-get)?
... privacy?
... security?
... choice between multiple OSes?
... default no Android?
... Maemo?
... root access out of the box?
... hacking and tinkering experience?
... not boring as the usual android phones?
... using standard linux apps?
... ability to run current linux kernel for long time?
... ability to run native Linux Apps and Android apps at the same phone?
... standard linux desktop like experience?
... updated N900 with more than enough RAM compared to almost no free RAM on N900?

I hope you share your ideas on this topic.

Last edited by ravelo; 2017-07-21 at 19:26. Reason: Added reason N900 with more RAM

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ravelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
What makes anybody think a kickstarter was to increase the price for the device? The opposite is true, since, as always stated, we need a certain number of orders to make the project happen as calculated. To reach that number of orders, we consider a kickstarter now since preorders never reached that threshold.

best regards
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2017-07-21 at 20:26.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
The brief mentions do not assuage ...or illuminate...
Too vague....
Project completion uncertainty.
Brief mention of crowdfunding..
not what people need to hear after a year with no update...

It does not boost confidence...but concern and worry instead.
The language used is very concerning...

Clarity.
Disclosure.
Transparent speech.

Answers
This been the first newspost of our new Communications Officer volunteer sn0wmonster. However it been reviewed by 4 other people who found it OK, and a number of users appreciated the post in IRC. If you think it's not answering your questions or otherwise lacks any topic you want to get covered, please talk to sn0wmonster, he asked for exactly this type of feedback to improve on the next newsposts he promised will come on regular schedule now.

many thanks for your support.

jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2017-07-21 at 20:42. Reason: s/U/I/ s/yn/ny/

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
And now a Kickstarter? After all these years? Without even a working prototype to tease people with? Good luck with that!
leaving other points of criticism in your post aside, this is particularly incorrect. The idea is explicitly to finish proto_v2 to have a working product to show off, before doing a kickstarter to reach the needed number of preorders that never came in after all those years.

BR
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2017-07-22 at 15:34. Reason: s/points/post/

IAlso what was "priceless " in the one of a kind arena for the neo....
was...
1- its lack of proprietary blobs and backdoors..
[...]
But since 2013 ....
there is the pocket chip and the flavors of Pi
For all I know the Pi boot via a closed blob bootloader loaded to the graphics accelerator hardware. While the Neo900 much contrary to all contemporary smartphones, has basically an all FOSS bootloader chain that allows you runing the OS of your choice on the hardware without stuff like jailbreak, cyanogenmod or kexec-hacks

[edit} I forgot to mention the phone modem which I don't know of any one working with a fully open protocol on any of the existing smartphones. Neo900 does.
/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2017-07-21 at 20:33.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ravelo View Post
[...]
Is it...
... usage of linux package management on your phone (apt-get)?
[...]
To you list I would add "Very portable X11 server". I have a work-related need for that.
Every Android X11 server I've tried has been vastly inferior to using an N900.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Joerg, nice to see you participating in the thread again, it has been tumbleweed for a while. Communication is key, I have to admit I had pretty much written the project off!

Best of luck!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!