So the N8 has begun shipping pre-orders

source: http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...ipping-photos/

anyone pre-orderd it yet?

why would anyone want this crap

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cenwesi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 220 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ england
here here. the n8 is a massive step backwards.
better video capture. and thats it.
let mysymbian get exited about it.
im not

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr_xzibit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by cenwesi View Post
why would anyone want this crap
Care to explain why you think so? I am betting on N8 (and others with Symbian^3/4) binging the power back to Nokia.

Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Care to explain why you think so? I am betting on N8 (and others with Symbian^3/4) binging the power back to Nokia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR0du...eature=related

The Following User Says Thank You to aikon800 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
so you think if you buy an N8 its going to behave like that?

I also think its gonna be great for Nokia, and am still considering buying one, as one of the main things I do with my N900 is take pictures and video of everything every day :P I just dunno about the lack of h/w keyboard... I'll probably wait til MeeGo event in Nov til I decide on N8 or hopefully N9.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Was at Nokia Flagship Store and had a 15-20 minute test run on the N8. Here's few first impressions.

The good

It's kinda hard to express just how much Symbian has improved. My last Symbian experience was with the POS known as N97, and N8 is such a huge improvement.

First of all, there's no more excessive clicking and confirming connections and so forth. The UI really feels like it's optimized for touchscreen, unlike the S60 5th Edition which was just a T9 UI with basic touch controls tacked on top. It's also very responsive and snappy. Multitouch works well on everything except Ovi Maps (more about that later). Also the few apps that I tried and one game (Angry Birds) were all working well and loaded up nicely.

The store was packed with people and it seemed like everyone was pleasantly suprised. Actually it's been like a year, since N900, that I've seen people enjoying testing a Nokia device.

The Bad
Lack of multitouch on Ovi Maps was a pain, especially cause multitouch was implemented on everything else and it was really akward to 'dowgrade' back to single-touch.

I'm also bit sceptical about browser rendering speed. The new Qt based Symbian browser won't be out until November/December and the old browser currently in N8 is propably as slow as in S60, but I can't really say that for sure, because there were so many people playing with N8s that the network could'nt cope and everything requiring net-connection crawled at snail pace. On the positive side, scrolling and pinch-zooming was really smooth and fast on the couple of pages I had the patience to load.

Overall

Not really a phone for me, but very good phone for the market segment it's intended for. And all Symbian haters should definately judge S^3 on it's own merits rather than those of S60 5th Edition. Oh and please stop linking to that one and only Youtube video which shows S^3 as unresponsive. The net is full of much better videos, and the real world performance is nothing like that.

Galaxy, Iphone 4 and their ilk don't have to lose any sleep, but N8 is gonna offer some good competion to iPhone 3GS and similarily priced Android handsets. The cheaper S^3 models (C6 & C7) will make it really hard for Android to eat that Nokia dominance in mid-range.

Last edited by Rauha; 2010-09-30 at 17:00.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This is ok for a General topic. Moved.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I guess the browser would suffer from the ARM11 CPU..

Are they going to have the next version of N900 or is it dead?