Active Topics

After using on and off my n800 for almost 2 years, I moved on to N900,
Moving from 4.1 screen to 3,5 didn’t help my eyes at all.
I was just thinking is there a way to increase system font size and also make the icons on the desktop look larger I was able to do it in winmo and symbian devices. I’ve tried to search , but didn’t find info on this, if this was discussed, point me please to that discussion

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

Originally Posted by slender View Post
This from power search.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52474
the thread above discussing achivieng the effect of smaller icons, without a conclusion.

In my case i need to make them (and fonts) larger

Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
For changing font size use Black Plastic Theme! Try the latest from extras devel! works like a charm! you also can choose your font not only the size of it, plus another cool options. after install you will find the plastic theme setup under the settings menu!
Hope this will help!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to puiradu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mdx500 View Post
the thread above discussing achivieng the effect of smaller icons, without a conclusion.

In my case i need to make them (and fonts) larger
I´m starting to feel that i´m the only one who really reads threads. To my eyes i clearly see Almehdi guide where he explains how to hack smaller (and also bigger icons).

About fonts i do no yet know. Try different themes. Its probably possible to edit some settings file by hand and i do not now have time to search it for you but i will get back if i happend to see something.

.edit
Oh puiradu just explained how to get different font size. Nice.

Thanks will try to use the theme

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Going through some pages of Customize N900 Conversations I managed to increase the font-size of IM conversations. Procedure follows simply as:

Go under /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html/
and edit MessagingWidgetsChatConversation.css

Locate div.Message { }
and add or modify font-size: 32 px

32 px is my current setting. Not sure how to alter other font size system yet unsure if any exist. This is the most required one for me and I have a solution.

I am looking more generic ways to increase font size in conversations and making it full screen to gain little more space. Jump in if you are interested in -> Two questions about conversations app

Originally Posted by puiradu View Post
For changing font size use Black Plastic Theme! Try the latest from extras devel! works like a charm! you also can choose your font not only the size of it, plus another cool options.
well, you can't change the icon size and the font for the clock in the systray is apparently not affected (neither is the font of the calendar's first page with the events). the top bar is still too big and imo the device is getting slower than before and the cpu is used more (could be cqused by "custom transitions", although there's no explanation what that means).

icons have always that fade out look which makes sense only with the depressing default backgrounds (what is it with all these dark "oh, i wanna kill myself" themes?).

having to reboot after each change is not really appealing -- it has something decidedly windows-ish about it -- simply restarting X should be more than sufficient.

would be far more interesting, if somebody could create an application that allows easy change of font and size ...

i wonder, how meego will be in this respect -- still the same "stupid users do not need to configure anything except the background image" attitude, nokia sports so splendidly in maemo?

Last edited by arne.anka; 2010-08-19 at 21:46.

Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Going through some pages of Customize N900 Conversations I managed to increase the font-size of IM conversations. Procedure follows simply as:

Go under /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html/
and edit MessagingWidgetsChatConversation.css

Locate div.Message { }
and add or modify font-size: 32 px

32 px is my current setting. Not sure how to alter other font size system yet unsure if any exist. This is the most required one for me and I have a solution.

I am looking more generic ways to increase font size in conversations and making it full screen to gain little more space. Jump in if you are interested in -> Two questions about conversations app
I got to give it a shot see if it will work for me, looks like a viable route for fonts in conversations

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by arne.anka View Post
well, you can't change the icon size and the font for the clock in the systray is apparently not affected (neither is the font of the calendar's first page with the events). the top bar is still too big and imo the device is getting slower than before and the cpu is used more (could be cqused by "custom transitions", although there's no explanation what that means).

icons have always that fade out look which makes sense only with the depressing default backgrounds (what is it with all these dark "oh, i wanna kill myself" themes?).

having to reboot after each change is not really appealing -- it has something decidedly windows-ish about it -- simply restarting X should be more than sufficient.

would be far more interesting, if somebody could create an application that allows easy change of font and size ...

i wonder, how meego will be in this respect -- still the same "stupid users do not need to configure anything except the background image" attitude, nokia sports so splendidly in maemo?
Since you seem to know how to do everything better I find it odd that you don't know you can change the font sizes to what ever you like by editing these two files:
/usr/share/themes/YOURTHEMEFOLDER/gtk2.0/gtkrc
/usr/share/themes/YOURTHEMEFOLDER/css/colors.css

After that just regenerate the gtkrc.cache and you're good to go (I suppose I don't have to explain how to do that since you already know about restarting the "X" and stuff like that...).

Btw, if you don't mind, please share what that "X" in fremantle is and how to restart it. I'm anxious to know how to refresh ALL theme elements without restarting the device. I would implement it immediately to Plastic Theme Setup.

Edit: yes, I'm having a bad day, trying to get rid of smoking...

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Last edited by d-iivil; 2010-08-21 at 17:12.