Active Topics

Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
ive been on the fence im up for a new phone for tmobile. the galaxy seems pretty cool but im a big camera guy. Does picture quality suffer from lack of flash. If so how badly?
Hmm....if you go to tmobile store and ask them to borrow the galaxy, you can try it out yourself .

I found the galaxy eventhough its faster than the earlier generation of android. (mytouch and g1), for the youtube the quality is "bad" for that high end processor. So flash may not be optimised yet.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by tirtawn View Post
Hmm....if you go to tmobile store and ask them to borrow the galaxy, you can try it out yourself .

I found the galaxy eventhough its faster than the earlier generation of android. (mytouch and g1), for the youtube the quality is "bad" for that high end processor. So flash may not be optimised yet.
are you speaking of flash player or camera flash?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm not missing the flash, I tend to take photos of things off in a distance typically. But that usually means with better lighting to begin with. I have a smaller Sony DSC-T77 for photos that I'll take up close because it doesn't introduce a lot of noise into photos where I have to use the flash and they might be under 2 meters close to me.

I can play around - this is where I have to be honest - I've rarely used the camera on my Captivate (Galaxy S derivative) mainly because I've yet to have any reason to take any.

Edit: I did take this picture, but it was in the sunlight as you can tell. Sorry I can't answer your question... now you have me thinking about testing it.

I tend to photo as if I need good lighting first.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm not missing the flash, I tend to take photos of things off in a distance typically. But that usually means with better lighting to begin with. I have a smaller Sony DSC-T77 for photos that I'll take up close because it doesn't introduce a lot of noise into photos where I have to use the flash and they might be under 2 meters close to me.

I can play around - this is where I have to be honest - I've rarely used the camera on my Captivate (Galaxy S derivative) mainly because I've yet to have any reason to take any.

Edit: I did take this picture, but it was in the sunlight as you can tell. Sorry I can't answer your question... now you have me thinking about testing it.

I tend to photo as if I need good lighting first.
That woulld be geat. A side by side compared tyo your n900.

I just made one for you: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2966151...7624888394038/ Pardon the mess on the table. Every phone was set to auto mode. I took 2 pictures with and without flash on the n900. The one from the n82 is a really old and I forgot why it isn't focused...

Last edited by Ayle; 2010-09-06 at 02:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ayle For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ayle View Post
I just made one for you: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2966151...7624888394038/ Pardon the mess on the table. Every phone was set to auto mode. I took 2 pictures with and without flash on the n900. The one from the n82 is a really old and I forgot why it isn't focused...
The comparison photo is missing with flash. The n82 still looks even though its out of focus.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm going to let my inner-a**hole hang out for a moment...

All I see is a bunch of undelivered, yet implicit, promises that a lot of folks around here somehow fell for (Nokia Reality Distortion Field?) and those that did not fall for it, they attack.

Those that still believe in it - they attack everything else.

Yet... I don't see very much to persuade me to believe in a damn thing they believe in. "It's the most open"... show me. I don't see 1/10th of the activity in terms of OS level hacks and development than I see at XDA-Developers. I mean, I just replaced the whole friggin' file system (RFS) to EXT4 and upped my entire speed on my Captivate.

I don't see 3D engines and apps. I see... well nothing.

For an open playing field, not much of anything is going on. PR1.2 and... that's it.

Instead of attacking, prove me wrong. Meanwhile, I'll be over here putting Android on my iPhone and modifying the living daylights out of my Captivate... there's a new Froyo firmware leaked out and I have to reverse my lag fix and revert from EXT4 before I do that.

Or I might go to a plain vanilla (sans TouchWiz) firmware and enjoy the lack of Samsung induced bloat.

I got real friggin' options. I don't see too many on the N900 besides sit... and wait... and hope.

And attack.

</inner a**hole>
It's fun to see people with their own little mutual admiration society act so smug about people who happen to disagree with them.

I don't even know anyone "on the N900"-- what does that mean, anyway? Like being on heroin?

I'm enjoying my N900. I plan to abandon Nokia in good time, but in the meantime the N900 strikes me as pretty superior to what's out there. I don't know whether Nitdroid is really representative of Android, for example, but I've spent many hours trying to love Nitdroid, and I reluctantly notice my great relief when I return to Maemo and my N900 the way it was meant to be.

I've used Android extensively, with much hacking courtesy of XDA, (albeit on an older model), and as great as it is, the two devices are two entirely different beasts. Android is great for communication and updates; phone, email, texting, the news, etc. Whereas, Maemo is great for actually getting things done. Which one you value more is up to you, but the fact of the matter is, the N900 is not a phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ctbeiser For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
I've used Android extensively, with much hacking courtesy of XDA, (albeit on an older model), and as great as it is, the two devices are two entirely different beasts. Android is great for communication and updates; phone, email, texting, the news, etc. Whereas, Maemo is great for actually getting things done. Which one you value more is up to you, but the fact of the matter is, the N900 is not a phone.
And do you think the display of the N900 lacks far, far too behind when compared to the AMOLED display of the Galaxy. The other day I was watching a HD video on the Galaxy and the same video then on the N900. The Video on the N900 looked disguistingly bad. It looked dull, not even half as bright as the Galaxy. Which makes me think it lacks in display against the Galaxy from a very, very long way. If someone is majorly looking out for a Phone for Internet Surfing, Emailing, Text and Multimedia would you still say he should go for the N900. with the 4 inch super Amoled screen Internet surfing and emailing is so much ease and pleasant, it is not at all cumbersone even if you are doing it on such a smaller device when compared to your Desktop. it is great fun. Does not the N900 take a beating on this ?

The Following User Says Thank You to augustya For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It's fun to see people with their own little mutual admiration society act so smug about people who happen to disagree with them.
Nobody was disagreeing nor agreeing with me. There's nothing smug about stating a truth that other folks would not.

I don't even know anyone "on the N900"-- what does that mean, anyway? Like being on heroin?
Reread what you quoted and what I stated. I said that I don't see too many options, not on the N900... that was in regards to "real friggin' options".

I'm enjoying my N900.
Good for you. If you enjoy it, so be it. It is an enjoyable device; it's just not the device I need for myself to support my needs.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900-fail-wail