Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
I don't really understand how can postponing a release be a profitable move any time.
Nobody is suggesting Nokia are postponing a release of a product - the suggestion is only that the announcement of a product (the N9, which probably won't be released for a few more months) is being delayed to avoid taking the media limelight away from a real product launch (the N8).

Announce the N9 hardware in a couple of months. Between now and the hardware announcement drip feed hints to the media about the software and UI. Use this time to clarify any lingering confusion about Symbian and MeeGo that consumers may have, because many remain confused.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
What I'm wondering, given the video showing the Symbian version of Adobe Reader being installed, does this mean that Meego will run Symbian apps too?

I wouldn't have thought so, but it would be a great thing and would give a good start to apps on it...
If the apps are Qt based, I think that is the idea... the only reason to recompile an app should be when changing architecture (ie. ARM <--> x86), but an ARM Qt app should run unchanged on MeeGo and Symbian. In theory. I think.

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
so has there been any real confirmation of a Nokia Meego phone for end of 2010? or is could this be like the n900 release that dragged on for a couple of months. Id like to Christmas gift myself a new phone this year and i was hoping itd be the Meego one.

Nokia is far too slow. Always having delays. Why can't they be like Apple and announce a release date and meet that date.

It is in a very problematic position right now. It's flagship device, N900, is not a mass market device and is not being readily sold anymore. It's claimed flagship deviced, N97, is like the most poorly rated smartphone.

Meanwhile there are loads of amazing android phones coming out as well as iphone 4 just released. It needed to get N8 out as soon as possible not postpone its release till September. Most people upgrading now will skip the current Nokia phones and will be unwilling to wait till September for the N8. They will just go to Android or iphone. So Nokia is losing potential customers each day it delays. They also needed to release videos or something of N9 as soon as possible for those who have no interest in symbian and may be considering getting an android or iphone. But that cannot happen now because they have to wait for N8 to come out before revealing anything of N9.

Of course better to delay to make sure everything is working well before release but when did Nokia do that? They will delay and probably still release a buggy device.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
im told N9 will still be announced at nokia world next month and will go on sale end of October plans are still the same.
N8 = camera flagship
N9 = all in one top range hardware spec flagship
these will go on sale side by side just like n82 old cam flagship and n95 multimedia flagship once did.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
btw i really doubt n900 was delayed to allow n97 to do well b/c n97 shipped 5 months before n900 and it was evident to all n900 was still not ready when it did start shipping
it was probably used as an excuse why the project was late

Btw as couple of people were complaining about youtube video disappearing you can still watch it in here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
It needed to get N8 out as soon as possible not postpone its release till September. Most people upgrading now will skip the current Nokia phones and will be unwilling to wait till September for the N8.
It's always the question if you lose more by giving up one month's "worth" of users, or if you lose more by shipping a half-baked product, which then gathers enough bad press in that first month that it no longer matters if you fix it later as everybody will remember the initial disappointment and you lost momentum for later sales.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
btw i really doubt n900 was delayed to allow n97 to do well b/c n97 shipped 5 months before n900 and it was evident to all n900 was still not ready when it did start shipping
it was probably used as an excuse why the project was late
Err... no, that's not what I was talking about - the N900 *announcement* was moved because of the N97 *mini* and the X6. Not the N97, and not the actual shipment date.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
To stop all this speculation.
The UI shown in the video is the Symbian⁴ UI, not the one from MeeGo.
The one from MeeGo will be far superior.

(Hint: did you see any 3D HW accelerated graphics in the video? Nope. How it comes then, that MeeGo requires 3D HW acceleration?)

Tags
aligatro == df