Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Tablet stop to recognize my sdcard (64GB) after reformating of sdcard (as exFAT).
Windows see it, but jolla won't...
Already reformated this sdcard 3-4 times, but without result...
Any advice please
Thanks

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Sep 2015 @ Finland
I read somewhere that tablet won't recognize empty sd cart. I haven't tested that anyway...

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
What does dmesg say when you plug it in?

Edit: Hang on. exFAT? I thought they said they weren't supporting that?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
You will need to install fuse exfat or some such or reformat the SD card as ext2/3/4 or btrfs

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Weird... It was new sdcard and it worked directly from package... I thought it was exFAT ? I tried to copy some big files via SSH and in some point connection is broken and I decided to reformat sdcard... And as default in windows it was exFat...
Hmmm... I will try to reformat with xt4... Thanks.

Will report later a little bit...

P.S. windows can see xt4 card ?

Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
Weird... It was new sdcard and it worked directly from package... I thought it was exFAT ? I tried to copy some big files via SSH and in some point connection is broken and I decided to reformat sdcard... And as default in windows it was exFat...

No, it doesn't by default. There's something you can install though I think. I format flash drives to UDF if I want to use them in windows and linux. I requested that they add UDF support in the kernel but it's not there yet. Maybe we need a fuse-udf package...

About exFAT - Jolla would have had to pay a license to MS to use it, and it's even mandatory in that SD standard. After feedback on TJC they chose not to pay it, and not 'officially' claim large card support.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Ah, Schturmann Schadenfreude.

It's not like some of us didn't point out that this would happen all for the sake of ridiculous ideology.

If you want cross OS compatibility you're stuck with FAT32. Windows will format cards >32GB with FAT32 but ONLY from the command line, not the GUI. Then it will work on pretty much everything.

The downside is no file bigger than 4GB which rules it out possibly if you're into storing long videos or DVD images on your SD cards.

If you're averse to DOS commands then there's a 3rd party GUI tool at http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm

If you're never going to use it as a transfer tool to other devices, then find a live linux CD, boot into that on your PC and you have the option of formatting it with one of the proprietary Linux file systems.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ NIgeria
Originally Posted by Schturman View Post

To access your linux filesystem sdcard on windows you have 2 good options:
1- Total commander linux plugins like DiskInternal which will allow you access to card but as read only, not very ideal
2- Ext2 program available on sourceforge which will allow your linux sdcard to be mounted in windows as a virtual exfat sdcard allowing full access to it read/write. Works great for ext4 testing it myself, haven't tried btrfs though.
Hope this helps

The Following User Says Thank You to dameceno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Sailfish was supposed to have an option to format SD cards directly on the device. It was even in the 2.0.0 change list, but was promptly taken out of the list when someone pointed out that it was, in fact, missing. Apparently dropped at the last moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So wait... what's the current formatting of the microSD now? exFAT or EXT4? And when you use the terminal, is it not there in your mounted media list?

cd media/sdcard/ should show something listed there.