Active Topics

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denver, CO -> Italy
Apple users/lovers will go over with this issue...they will learn hot to hold the phone from the glass.
I bet in 1 year a new iphone will be released with the same boring OS etc etc etc they will reinvent something and the story will start over.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
By now it's pretty clear that a bumper-like accessory is pretty much a requirement for most users.

If Apple is in the toys market, they just sold a boatload of naked Barbies*. Very sexy Barbies*.

*Costume and clothes are sold separately. Available at your nearest Apple Store.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Well, Apple's reply pretty much confirms this is a hardware design flaw. It also indicates, to me, that this is and was a known issue to them, which they conveniently failed to mention. I don't get it... Any other company would get totally spanked for such a thing. It doesn't matter if putting a case on solves it, it doesn't matter if holding it differently solves it. It's still a company selling insane numbers of flawed products.

I just want to stress one point. It's true what Apple say - any phone can have its signal blocked when held a certain way. Earlier in the thread I wrote that if I cup my N900 in my hands really firmly in its bottom area, where the headphone jack is, I also lose reception, since that is the area where the GSM antenna is located. That's also the reason the guy in the iPhone 3G video lost reception.
There is a key difference between this and the iPhone 4 situation. You don't normally hold a phone like I did when I tried it with the N900, or even like the 3G guy did. Notice that he really grabbed it with his palm flat against the back. In the iPhone 4, however, it appears that even a touch in the wrong area kills the reception. There's no need to block anything, because the antennas are exposed and apparently shorting them works just as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thearcane For This Useful Post:
MAN: Hey doctor, when I lift my arm like this, my chest starts to open up and I bleed profusely.

DOCTOR: Don't lift your arm like that. That'll be $500.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Descalzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
Originally Posted by thearcane View Post
Well, Apple's reply pretty much confirms this is a hardware design flaw. It also indicates, to me, that this is and was a known issue to them, which they conveniently failed to mention. I don't get it... Any other company would get totally spanked for such a thing. It doesn't matter if putting a case on solves it, it doesn't matter if holding it differently solves it. It's still a company selling insane numbers of flawed products.

I just want to stress one point. It's true what Apple say - any phone can have its signal blocked when held a certain way. Earlier in the thread I wrote that if I cup my N900 in my hands really firmly in its bottom area, where the headphone jack is, I also lose reception, since that is the area where the GSM antenna is located. That's also the reason the guy in the iPhone 3G video lost reception.
There is a key difference between this and the iPhone 4 situation. You don't normally hold a phone like I did when I tried it with the N900, or even like the 3G guy did. Notice that he really grabbed it with his palm flat against the back. In the iPhone 4, however, it appears that even a touch in the wrong area kills the reception. There's no need to block anything, because the antennas are exposed and apparently shorting them works just as well.
I agree completely.

Check this paper on Wireless 101. Pages 4,5.
http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~amitra/pubs/c12.pdf

Human Body Test
Effect of human body is prominent at
the transmitter as well as the
receiver.

the RSSI drops from 1.9V to 1.6V and introduces errors.

Wonder what the apple R&D engineers were thinking.

Originally Posted by noipv4 View Post
I agree completely.

Human Body Test
receiver.

When I saw apple's keynote and how steve was bragging about the "genius" of their antenna design I was thinking "really?". Putting the antenna around where the phone is held is not very smart, but i thought surely apple would know that and they mustve found a solution for it.. i guess they didnt.

The Following User Says Thank You to mohannad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by thearcane View Post

Yup! Two more things. N900 is mostly made from plastic which is another reason why it has better outcomes , also I tried really hard by blocking that area with BOTH hands but I was unable to force it to lose reception, maximum 1-2 bars were gone. That's it

Believe it or not but Nokia phones always had outstanding signal quality regardless its a 20$ Nokia 1100 or 650$ N900. That's another reason they become very popular

I wonder if N8 might have such problems since Nokia made it from aluminum and (unrelated to signal strength) dunno why inaccessible battery

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
iSheeps will follow their Master and will hold the phone like this
Attached Images

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by noipv4 View Post
I agree completely.

Human Body Test
receiver.

Why do you think Nokia tell you to keep your pinkies away from the area where the antenna is.

Apple R&D were maybe thinking iPhone users wear Marigold Latex Gloves.

But anyone remember the Nokia Lawsuit that was filed against Apple for using Nokia's call technology? Wonder if this is Apple's attempt to avoid anymore unwanted attention over that.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Why do you think Nokia tell you to keep your pinkies away from the area where the antenna is.

Apple R&D were maybe thinking iPhone users wear Marigold Latex Gloves.

But anyone remember the Nokia Lawsuit that was filed against Apple for using Nokia's call technology? Wonder if this is Apple's attempt to avoid anymore unwanted attention over that.
To make iphone even more thin, they had no other way but to use the bezel.

There is no other place in the iphone4 to place the antenna, except on the back glass panel..
but!!
The back panel is covered with metallic shielding in order to, I presume meet FCC guidelines.

Last edited by noipv4; 2010-06-25 at 07:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noipv4 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bestthreadever, form > function, h8'ers gon' h8, isheeps, worstthreadever