Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
You know, after changing the zoom option that Serge suggested, I don't even bother converting videos anymore.
I have NEVER encode/convert video for my tablet. They just play fine. If not, I will look for another copy.

bun

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I have NEVER encode/convert video for my tablet. They just play fine. If not, I will look for another copy.
Sorry there chief.

I thought since you liked maximizing the display on your screen in some way, that in order to do that, you were recoding all of your videos.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Since this is the most active Video Conversion thread, I figure I'll throw this out there.

I'm a windoze user (ya, ya) and all the progs on the wiki suck.

I found this one, that seems to work well: MediaCoder

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/editions.html

It's super customizable and very easy to use.

I'm converting a 179mb 22min AVI file right now @

(double pass)400x240 30fps MP4 / 128kbps 44.1 MP3 = 110mb

and it looks awesome. I even fullscreened it on my 23" screen, and it is even watchable there!

just a little food for thought.

///EDIT
yup, just played it on the N810, it's as perfect as I would want it to be (and at around half the size!)

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-06-07 at 08:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Thanks for this information, would you like to try the settings I suggested in post #40 of this thread ?

You would be able to get a better image resolution ... and let us know if it works with this software you found !

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Totolo, just a question: how long does it take to convert a movie using handbrake with your specs?

Sure my PC is not a very powerful one (Athlon 64 3200+ running XP 32bit + 1gb RAM + Geforce 7300 GT (old school, I know...)), but it was going to take 6 hours. Damn!

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
@Bobbe

Don't believe the estimated time... mine keeps saying 600+ hours on my 2Ghz Athlon.

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
It really depends a lot on your computer and the video file ... on my macbook unibody, i would say it takes about the same duration than the movie itself ... but i only do 1 pass !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to totololo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
This is a great thread!

As I am moving from a PSP as a mobile media device to the n810, my immediate experience for high quality video playback was quickly shakened but now with all your encoding parameters, I think I will find as good if not better an experience as I had with the PSP!

Thanks all!

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by totololo View Post
Thanks for this information, would you like to try the settings I suggested in post #40 of this thread ?

You would be able to get a better image resolution ... and let us know if it works with this software you found !
i did your recommendation for 24fps wide.

i personally don't see much of a difference, save for the aspect ratio change. the file size actually ended up roughly the same.

all in all, the native resolution works better for me, because I personally want as little black on the small screen as possible (myopia).

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
i did your recommendation for 24fps wide.

i personally don't see much of a difference, save for the aspect ratio change. the file size actually ended up roughly the same.

all in all, the native resolution works better for me, because I personally want as little black on the small screen as possible (myopia).
If you don't see a difference I recommend going to the first page of the thread and check out my experience with that HD trailer. Along with the other encoding recommendations of this thread, and like mil referred to, a resolution near 200,000 pixels seems to be the silver bullet for the tablets.

Tags
when will tim find me