Hi guys, new to the site. I have seen a bit of discussion about this phone here, so I thought this would be a good place to go to get some answers.

I'll be short, sweet, and to the point.

I have a T-Mobile Family Plan (800 shared minutes, and Unlimited Texting. I have NO data plan because I am currently using some crappy phone).

I was looking to buy the Nokia N900 but had some questions about it:
  1. Will this phone work on the T-Mobile Network (Will I get 3G coverage)?
  2. Can I use this phone on the T-Mobile Network with NO Data Plan? (I plan to only use the internet when I am connected to my Wi-Fi at home).
  3. Can I still receive regular phone calls and text messages with no Data Plan (Or at all)?

A lot to ask from a new member, but if anyone has any info, please let me know. Thanks.

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
yes
yes
yes
Agro ... : |##--------] Relic(s) : 770,N800,eee

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcull For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Manchester
1. I use t-mobile myself in the UK with a pay as you go SIM in an N900, so yes.

2. I'm not sure, but I think you get prompted when first connecting to a cellular connection whether or not you automatically do that in the future. So I don't think it'd happen without your say-so.

3. Yep. Don't see why not!

BTW. In the UK you can text 6MONTHWEB to 441 and, for 20 quid, get 6 months internet access, capped at 500MB per month on pay-as-you-go IIRC.

Might be worth just giving T-mobile a call. Would've thought you could get 'unlimited' data bundled with your current plan if you threatened to leave or something.

Last edited by wreckgar23; 2010-12-01 at 13:57. Reason: make it clear I'm talking about the uk

The Following User Says Thank You to wreckgar23 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
As I recall, it's an extra ten bucks a month for unlimited data added to any plan. As I do not use the N900 all that much for cell calls and data, I use their Pay As You Go Plan and pay 15 cents a minute for calls and a buck fifty a day for data when I need it. I'm spending about a hundred bucks a year, which I think is pretty good.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Nu1st Street, Iron Triange, Richmond, CA
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, but you will pay too much for text.

Originally Posted by martycollinsesq View Post
3. Yes, but you will pay too much for text.
Meaning?

I have Unlimited Texting on my current plan.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Oregon
Originally Posted by electrolind View Post
As I recall, it's an extra ten bucks a month for unlimited data added to any plan. As I do not use the N900 all that much for cell calls and data, I use their Pay As You Go Plan and pay 15 cents a minute for calls and a buck fifty a day for data when I need it. I'm spending about a hundred bucks a year, which I think is pretty good.
That $10 unlimited data plan for dumbphones is no longer available. T-Mo recently changed it so that the $10 plan gets you only 200MB, which is just terrible. I'm not aware of any other cheap data plans at this time.

I am curious, does the updated N900 have portrait mode on the home screen?

I know there is portrait mode on the web and the phone calls, but did they ever add it to the home page? (And I don't mean a hack or anything that barely works).

I think that's one reason I am hesitant on buying the phone, because I enjoying using my phone with one hand.

You forgot to say what country you from....

With regards to the 3g coverage, here in the UK 3g is better then 2g, but this may not be the same in other countries.

with regards to the other 2 question is yes.

I have t-mobile in the UK and I got something called a free internet booster with my new contract, meaning i get free internet on my n900 for 24 months, based on fair usage policy, but from experience t-mobile in the UK only caps you if you go over, unlike what other networks which have hidden charges if you go over the fair usage. I highly recommend t-mobile to everyone, top service, top business module. My monthly contract is only £20 per month including 300 free minutes and free text messages(can't recall how many).

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
I'm in your exact same shoes, i have a n900, i don't have a data plan

yeah everything works just fine, you can make calls just as you do normally, i connect to the internet only via wifi, and my wifi does get "3g" coverage, but i set it to 2.5g because it saves more battery, but i could use 3g if i want, the sound quality is even better with 3g in phone calls haha (but even at 2.5 it's better than most phones)