Poll: What is your vote??
Poll Options
What is your vote??

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post

If so, is FOSS THAT important to you ? IF yes, get the N9.
^ that simple ^

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by CasTTeLLo View Post
HELLO and good morning....

i need an opinion which phone should i choose between n9 and samsung galaxy s 11.....thanks...
N9 because its from Nokia and MeeGo which is step from Maemo and everyone know how great Maemo is

Samsung because we know Nokia is not going to support it, Maemo 5 is an example but Android us typically created for a typical hardware or vice versa but the point is you will potentially have to throw yout galaxy away once a newer version of Android is released.... I may be wrong but the experience so far suggests so...

comming bank to Nokia N9, it has some cool features such as swipe and multitasking that is truely multitasking.

Android has heaps of applications but it seems that N9 will have enough as well because Nokia is running a couple of competitions to get the apps developed and spending millions on it.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to vivmak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
I have a samsung galaxy S2 - and did a review on my website.

It is stunning, has a few quirks, but overall i think it rocks. Would still love to see an n9 - but if you are happy using swype and dont need a hardware keyboard, and want a new phone now, the SGS2 is your best option

(However, the reviews of the N9 look amazing, so if you can wait... try out both in a shop first!)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eMiL View Post
"Has free navigation software: SGSII: Yes vs N9: No

Free navigation software with free map data and updates included, no need to buy an dedicated navigation device"

lulwut?
The N9 has free Navigation
http://swipe.nokia.com/features/

The Following User Says Thank You to cicer For This Useful Post:
I'm eager to pick the Nokia N9 but because there is no company backing the N9 (and it still have proprietary interface) I'm afraid it may be left for dead like the N900.

At least Android has a huge market share and backing and is being updated often.

It's a tough decision and I'm swayed both ways from day to day.

I think I'm still leaning towards the N9.

Which is cheaper I wonder?

Some useful insights into this decision would be appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to divansantana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by cicer View Post
The N9 has free Navigation
http://swipe.nokia.com/features/
Yeah I know. Just got a little frustrated at the vs. page that listed free navigation as a pro for the SGSII vs. N9 which according to them had no free navigation. I commented on the page and they changed the info tho so it's ok now

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ London
I just picked up my Galaxy S II yesterday afternoon from T-Mobile (since Nokia broke my N900 )

And honestly I am disappointed. Yes it has one of the best screens in the world, dual core processor, 1GB ram (really 833MB and just on standby 290-300 is already used), yes it has 1080p recording and the camera is truly amazing.

But I'm not impressed with the multi-tasking at all, its very tedious to switch between apps, go from one app to the other, and closing apps also gets annoying after the 100th time of holding the home button, then click task manager, then click exit all, or manually exit the ones you want to close.

Honestly I just miss the simple "x" in the top right corner of the app thumbnail. The n9 will have multi tasking similar to the n900, so if thats the kind of multi tasking you prefer then wait for the n9.

The S2 has similar mutli tasking to my iPhone 4, its annoying for me but if you dont mind it then in terms of specs/hardware the S2 is a much better phone.

But I personally would prefer and get the Nokia N9, I am thinking of returning my S2 because thats how much I miss my N900. Also the lack of hardware keyboard makes entering long emails and texts stupidly annoying, and the virtual keyboard takes up most of the screen, especially in landscape mode!

At least with the iphone you could close the virtual keyboard both in protrait and landscape, by hitting the empty area above it, that way if you had a bluetooth keyboard, you could use that with a full iPhone 4 screen.

With the S2 there is NO way to close the virtual keyboard when you click a text box in the browser. It will stay open until you click outside of the text box, in which case you cannot type. So having a bluetooth keyboard is kinda pointless since most of your screen is always covered with the virtual keyboard. I like the fact that my iPhone 4 at least allows the option of closing Virtual Keyboard if I want to.

I am disappointed with the android market as well, apps are very similar to iOS market but alot more expensive. Plus alot of the paid apps have authorising issues which many users have been experiencing, their cards get charged but the app gets stuck on authorising card, so they dont ever get their app. There is no real fix for this issue, most people suffer from it and only some have resolved it themselves with no support from google so far.

Honestly, the hardware specs on the S2 are amazing - camera, processor, ram etc. etc. etc.

But the operating system seems like a cheap knock off iOS, with open source customizablity.

Well I would rather have a closed source iOS phone anyday, I'll gladly sacrifice the customization of the home screen in exchange for a stable and working market. Any customization the Android 2.3.3 offers can be obtained on iOS by apps or jailbreaking.

So honestly if you're gonna get an SGS2, get an iPhone 4 instead.

Also I miss my MicoB Browser on N900 and even the iPhone 4's Safari browser is much better than that on the SGS2! I don't know if you can get safari on android since I am new to the OS, but I will definitely find out if I can get it.

The phone overall feels to big to fit in one hand comfortably, so often you use two hands where you would use one. Personally I prefer a perfectly clear 3.5 inch screen or 3.9 inch like on the N9 without the home button, so that the phone itself does not increase in size. The galaxy S2's 4.3 inch screen is so impressive but it makes the phone too big for me to care!

Or take the best option, wait for an N9, becuase that will trule be the best alternative for any N900 user. I am not saying the N9 will be better than an N900, it lacks many things that the N900 can do, but it would be a worthy alternative for a regular N900 user looking to update their phone.

From experience my iPhone 4 and SGS2 do not impress me anywhere near as much as my N900 did, and I really wish I still had it! So I will definitely be waiting for the N9 and probaly just return the S2 as I have 7 days to change my mind.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Prozac786; 2011-06-30 at 19:49.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prozac786 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Originally Posted by Prozac786 View Post
Also I miss my MicoB Browser on N900 and even the iPhone 4's Safari browser is much better than that on the SGS2!
Are you insane, the Galaxy SII browser is by far the fastest on the market right now. it has been bench tested on many review sites.

The Following User Says Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Austria (no kangaroos over here)
I tried to answer the same question for me a vew weeks back, and now I'm playing with my SGS2 (beside my loved N900)

+ Screen is amazing (just get the SuperAmolded+, not the SuperClearLCD !)
+ Speed is stunning, with no doubt much faster than N900
+ Camera is WAY better than N900 (and way better than SGS1's)
+ 1080p recording (looks great on my 65" Plasma)
+ MHL (HDMI out with USB)
+ USB OTG
+ "Billions" of Apps (I really appreciate the hard work of the community here, but why is it ONLY the Community supporting the N900 ???). Nokia has to proof that they will support Harmattan/Meego, I doubt it
+ Free navigation included (Nokia was promising it for N900 in my Country, but nothing happened 'til today)
+ Google-Sync included (Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Picasa, Gmail, Google+, ...) - never loose my Data again
+ Front Facing Camera supportet (Videocall, Skype (Skype only via the XDA-Hack at the moment, because SGS2 is supportet since last Skype-Update but not enabled at the moment))
+ many other features onboard wich you can use with N900 (N9 ?) only with the help of the community
+ Updates (!), Android 4.0 is on the way (Gingerbread + Honeycomb = Ice Cream Sandwich)
+ Call-Log much better than N900's (overall list and individual contacts, including SMS ...)
+ Updates work much better (faster) - just decide auto/manually Update for your Apps, and there is absolutely no lag like on N900 where you have to wait for minutes after pushing the notification
+ Office Documents viewing AND editing from stock (Polaris Office)
+ superb browser with flash 10.3 support
+ very good Support-Forum (XDA), similar to TMO

-/+ no hardware keyboard was my biggest concern, but after a month of using the really good virtual-keyboard I'm faster than on the N900
-/+ no Camera Shutter, but it's Gorilla-Glass I found out, and also there will never again be a dusty lens
-/+ Akku has to be charged every evening (with Wifi/GPS/Skype/Weather App/RSS/Mail/Background-Sync always on, Browsing, Maps, Calling), but this is not much difference to my N900, from my feeling the N900 has given up earlier

- Wifi-quality lacks a little bit (N900 finds more networks and has better signal) - maybe the next update will solve this "problem" (not really a problem at home with strong signal)
- only one Speaker at the backside means no stereo-quality, and if you place your phone on the couch backside down you will hear nothing
- I had some unexpected Reboots so far, and still did't exactly find out what causes them (something to do with Samsung TouchWiz and the Stock-Apps), but decided to wait for the first big update before rooting and freezing/deleting all the crappy Stock-Apps

The SGS2 has been crowned as the best Android-Device so far from Engadget and other Sites:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/s...y-s-ii-review/

If you're not in hurry, I would wait for the first hands-on's on N9 and the still rumored Update of SGS2/SGS3 in fall

My decition was clear because I was very impressed by N900's hardware, but also very dissapointet by Nokia's epic fail in support and their broken promises (once again, after my N95 - the first Nokia device with GPS, was the one wich didn't get the free Ovimaps). May Elop rot in hell for eternity

@ Prozac 786

You didn't get the way how multitasking works on Android, did you ? There is NO need to close Apps, NO need for Taskkiller's, Android will close Apps by Priority when the System runs out of memory. The Home-Butten is equivalent to X-Button on N900, but there are also many Apps you can close completely by "Menu" -> "Exit"/"Quit"/"End"

For closing Text-Boxes in Browser just click the Back-Button

CU - M_99

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_99 For This Useful Post:
of course the galaxy 2 is superior to the n900 in many aspects. But we're talking about the N9 here people! How could you possibly prefer the g2 over a new sexy meego phone?

+ Google-Sync included (Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Picasa, Gmail, Google+, ...) - never loose my Data again
No way google is gonna get may data, cancelled my gmail account years ago.

You didn't get the way how multitasking works on Android, did you ? There is NO need to close Apps, NO need for Taskkiller's, Android will close Apps by Priority when the System runs out of memory. The Home-Butten is equivalent to X-Button on N900, but there are also many Apps you can close completely by "Menu" -> "Exit"/"Quit"/"End"
I know how it works and it just plain sucks.

Last edited by Rugoz; 2011-07-01 at 11:22.

Tags
bada rox