Board of directors would need to be ******ed to let Elop destroy meego IF its successful.
What would he say? "Take a look, we sold huge amount of n9s, demand is still high, its Nokia's masterpiece, something original that people like but i think we should still go with WP and become company like every other"

they should anserw "Elop, we agreed that you are ******ED"

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
If you mean the SwipeUI no, not if there isnt an opensource project implementing it.

But the rest of the stuff can/will be backported to Meego IF we want too. (libmeegotouch/qtcomponents/tracker etc...
SwipeUI is just a implementation to the OS,

What I mean was will there be a standalone release of Maemo from nokia after they released maemo 6 (Harmattan), meaning Maemo 7

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
So, basically the case could be the following. (my speculation partly copied from elsewhere)

Nokia is committed to make one Meego release this year (some agreement with Intel etc.). It totally makes no sense to release this kind of phone if any continuation for the product line is not coming. They will definitely lose money with this product release.

MS agreement states that it will be their only smartphone platform, no Meego allowed. It dies even if it succeeds.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Btw... WP7 will not be announced in northeuropean countrys this year Instead we have N9
Good to hear Not that I have anything against WP, but let's face it, if there is a viable alternative like the N9, well...

I think this is a very classic proxy-fight takeover. The decisions were probably made last year, just before Elop got to the helm of Nokia.

That may be the reason why there is virtually no resistance within board to the Elop's strategy. It also explains why certain design leads left, and the disappearance of Rich Green.

Sorry guys, it looked the N9 (I am more of N950 type of person) could change things.

I really hope I am dead wrong about this.

BTW: Take a look at Nokia stocks just before and after the N9 was announced, than take a look at the situation this morning.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-06-23 at 08:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
I think this is a very classic proxy-fight takeover. The decisions were probably made last year, just before Elop got to the helm of Nokia.

That may be the reason why there is virtually no resistance within board to the Elop's strategy. It also explains why certain design leads left, and the disappearance of Rich Green.

Sorry guys, it looked the N9 (I am more of N950 type of person) could change things.

I really hope I am dead wrong about this.

BTW: Take a look at Nokia stocks just before and after the N9 was announced, than take a look at the situation this morning.
I have similar feelings to be honest. Its not a first time it has happened and it wont be the last.

Why the surprise? It was very obvious. Even the marketing strategy for N9 points in this direction.

The only reason the phone was released was to fulfill contractual obligations to Intel, period.

This is where most of the negative response from TMO members (at least from me) came from at N9 release. I was sure this would be Nokia's last NIT for some time to come, and the N9 in my books isn't even an NIT.

It was the last chance to get a Nxxx successor, and I didn't really care about Nokia support, I'm pretty used to not having that. My desperation on release was because I knew that dream had been shattered. I just hope they produced a huge amount of N950's which will be eventually available somehow, even though I know that is not gonna happen.

Instead of going out with a bang, Nokia has abandoned Maemo/MeeGo with yet another WTF moment?

Shame on you, Elop. And shame on you, Nokia. And to the Finns, well, that is what happens when you let the devil inside.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Why not just read the news in English: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11172...d=business.xml

The alleged "first and last" in HS was from Carolina Milanesi; and as you can see in the English news she said "Night and Day", rather than "first and last".

I wondered what's wrong with the rumor here. May be people would want Elop saying that, but he didn't.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Why not just read the news in English: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11172...d=business.xml

The alleged "first and last" in HS was from Carolina Milanesi; and as you can see in the English news she said "Night and Day", rather than "first and last".

I wondered what's wrong with the rumor here. May be people would want Elop saying that, but he didn't.
That is totally different article, from a different day, from a different newspaper, from a different continent and in different language.

Again, the topic of this thread is a article today in a newspaper called Helsingin Sanomat. It's no speculation. Only way that Stephen Elop didn't say it, is that the largest, most prestigous and trusted newspaper in Finland is flat out lying.

Last edited by Rauha; 2011-06-23 at 09:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
....i did read it, native finn and i didn't find anything about this?

Last edited by tissot; 2011-06-23 at 09:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:

Tags
elopcalypse, elopocalypse, insanity, makesnosense, trojan