Poll: Do you like the NEW talk.maemo.org
Poll Options
Do you like the NEW talk.maemo.org

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Done. What do you think?
Looks to much like the old maemo orange and itT classic orange. We need a better link color. . . .

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Looks to much like the old maemo orange and itT classic orange. We need a better link color. . . .
Well, I guess we should ask help from someone with more expertise on design. Galubert?

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Well, I guess we should ask help from someone with more expertise on design. Galubert?
The link color is fine, just change the text color and the background color black or dark gray and we will be looking like the old ITT in no time....
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I've tried changing the orange to a slightly darker orange which is slightly easier on the eyes. Let me know what you guys think.
Reggie,

Thanks for the darker orange. It is a definite improvement. (This is not a retreat from my argument that there is only good and no bad to come from allowing some old themes to persist as options.)

I like that you have the large Search form on each page, but it's not nearly as useful as the Google iTT search. The latter shows you the words you searched for in context, and it takes you to the page they are on. The maemo.org search only shows you the thread title and takes you to Page 1, regardless of the location of the info you are looking for.

Can you replace the current search with the one like the Google iTT search? If not (though I can't see why you couldn't), I think the Google-style search has to be available somewhere.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Reggie,
The latter shows you the words you searched for in context, and it takes you to the page they are on. The maemo.org search only shows you the thread title and takes you to Page 1, regardless of the location of the info you are looking for.
Actually, there is a tucked away option at the bottom that says display threads vs display posts, I believe it does what you need. Doesn't help in avoiding to go to advanced search to get it, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Actually, there is a tucked away option at the bottom that says display threads vs display posts, I believe it does what you need. Doesn't help in avoiding to go to advanced search to get it, though.
Thanks, attilla77, that is better. Nonetheless, the Google-powered search is still better (it shows you the searched-for terms in context). I think the Big Search Box at the top right should be the Google-powered search. Or, if the Search Box is going to use the current search engine (which is definitely a second choice for me), it should search for posts, not thread titles.

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-05-03 at 00:10.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Nonetheless, the Google-powered search is still better (it shows you the searched-for terms in context).
I'll see what I can do. Note however that there will be a big domain name change -- from internettablettalk.com/forums to talk.maemo.org. Although I will forward links from the old URL to the the new one, I'm sure Google will get confused for a week or two.

I'll bring back the Google search when the dust settles. For the meantime, I suggest you use the Advanced Search.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Typing this into a google box may help while the changeover happens:

Code:
searchtermhere site:www.internettablettalk.com/forums

or:

computer site:www.internettablettalk.com/forums
To look up the term computer at the Itt site.(Note there's only one space in the entire line). Obviously it works with any search term or site that's not excluded purposely from google.

Same as:

Code:
define:termtolookfor

or:

define:computer
to get a multiple source definition of the word "computer." (again, no space), which is much more helpful than any of the few online dictionaries that I have used.

Joe (Sorry for the thread hijack attempt! But it's useful info.)

Last edited by Justjoe; 2009-05-04 at 21:39.