Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I would hardly call Apple an 800 pound anything. If anything else, they're the 110 pound cult leader trying to take people to Heaven's Gate.
lol... exactly. I have a lot of respect for their marketing machine (better than Microsoft's in some respects, which is saying a lot), but come on guys let's be real. Apple excels in design and hype. That's it. Their products are not gold-plated. They are not defect-free. They do not last forever. They have sharp designs wrapped around solid functionality promoted by great hype and supported by a reputable company. But the key word in all of that is HYPE. If Apple fan boys were to one day wake up in a hype-free world, and rub the film from their eyes, they'd see that Apple has serious competition that just can't get a handle on marketing. BUT-- if any ever does... watch out, Cupertino! Your tiny market share of the vast electronics device pie may get even smaller.

I'm betting on Nintendo or Sandisk. Or a merger between the two...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Apple may well be the VHS of this world, but we all know what happened to the superior Betamax product. People WANT Apple products. Ordinary people, not techy or geeks, are lusting after Apple products, whether they need them or not - they just want them. That kind of demand is priceless, and it rapidly leads to third-party support and a great eco system.

Nokia NITs don't have that kind of consumer demand, so while the NITs may be superior in several respects most people just don't care - they know what they want and it's an Apple!

Highlighting possible defects in the Touch or criticising Apple for having a great marketing department is not going to help Nokia in the future - they need to improve their marketing while also offering products that Joe Public desires and will pre-order to acquire.

If Nokia need to hype their products then so be it - commence the hype. Don't hold back on those secrets you're keeping!!!!

Originally Posted by omegaone37 View Post
Oh.... my bad.... I guess I missed the part where the iPod Touch had a video camera.

Regards...

Omega

What do you use your camera for? Skype? Oh, wait, can't do that. Oh, how about Google talk? Nope, they killed that. Crappy photos? Check! Even worse video? Check! I'll stick to the camera on my phone, or the digital Rebel I carry almost all the time. Once again, everybody, including me, is comparing apples to oranges.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Milhouse, I agree with everything in that last post.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Milhouse, I agree with everything in that last post.
Nooooo......

I knew you were arguing for the sake of arguing!

Was not!

Oh I've won, disregard this post.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by wls View Post
Apple today announced their new internet tablet device. The iTouch
The simularities with the N800 beg the question as to which is better.

In many ways the N800 is already dead. As for the iPod Touch (the iTouch is a different device and not made by Apple), it will blow the N800 away with it's browsing and multimedia capabilities. The N800 will still have bluetooth and I/O over the Touch and thus be able to either access a phone or be a phone. Apple does not want anyone calling anyone on their Touch.

As for software, if Apple includes the Mac mail and calendar systems then goodbye Nokia.

Originally Posted by Odin View Post
In many ways the N800 is already dead. As for the iPod Touch (the iTouch is a different device and not made by Apple), it will blow the N800 away with it's browsing and multimedia capabilities. The N800 will still have bluetooth and I/O over the Touch and thus be able to either access a phone or be a phone. Apple does not want anyone calling anyone on their Touch.

As for software, if Apple includes the Mac mail and calendar systems then goodbye Nokia.
ROFL. Sorry, the hyperbole is tickling me. "Goodbye Nokia"...

Originally Posted by Odin View Post

Well it already sync your contacts. If it's the same as what the iPod does now, it's the full contact info, not just name and email.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.