Notices

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ New Mexico, USA
I recently downloaded the Vista theme 1.0 (see https://garage.maemo.org/projects/vista-n800/) on my N800 running Diablo, tried it out, decided I didn't like it, and returned to using my other themes.

Now something incredibly annoying has happened: After restarting the N800 last night, the Vista theme shows up in the Nokia startup screen, then the Vista desktop icons appear along the lefthand side of my screen (although the theme I'm using is Plankton), and worst of all, when I try to unintall the Vista theme using Application Manager, I get an error message saying "Cannot uninstall Vista." In other words, the Vista theme is behaving like a virus!

This problem has been discussed before at http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=164653 but no working fix was posted.

Any ideas about what I should do?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I apologize for my snarky comment--but it must be said: That is so appropriate. :P

I'm fuming about the problem so I missed the irony/satire factor (I left Windows and its evil ways in the dust a long time ago, by the way).

So now that we know this is kind of funny, anybody got a proposed solution for me?

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
I really had to hold myself back from mentioning how "true to form" that problem is, with regard to the theme's name... glad I'm not the only one with a warped sense of humor.

HalSF -- I had a similar experience when I tried LPAD on my n800 when I first got it. I decided it wasn't for me, but then I couldn't (completely) remove it... wound up re-flashing the device (and, yeah, that worked). Same thing would probably work in your situation, but is also probably tremendous overkill. (and it's also a "windows solution" -- doesn't work? re-install!!)

Hey.. Windows theme, windows solution - right?

Hal - You getting the same output from command line as the guy in the other thread when using apt-get remove vista?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

I really want to avoid re-flashing if I possibly can. I too had the same problem with the Star Trek LCARS theme before I re-flashed with the new Diablo version of the OS a while back, but it was less bothersome because it only affected the startup screens, not the desktop.

It remains an interesting question: How did this theme dig its claws into my system, and how do I pry it out without going nuclear?

fatalsaint, here's what I get when I become root and run an “apt-get remove vista” command:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
osso-software-version-rx34: Depends: flash-and-reboot (= 3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: initfs-flasher (= 0.95.16-200823maemo2) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kernel-diablo-flasher (= 2.6.21-200823maemo3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libbz2-1.0 (= 1.0.3-1) but 1.0.3-2 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

What does

apt-get -f install

return?? Looks like you have dependencies issues not related to vista that you need to clean up.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by HalSF View Post
I'm fuming about the problem so I missed the irony/satire factor (I left Windows and its evil ways in the dust a long time ago, by the way).

So now that we know this is kind of funny, anybody got a proposed solution for me?

A search of the forum for removing LCARS theme should help. BTW, I had the same problem with LCARS theme a while back. Nice theme, but I didn't like the "darkness" off it.

Anyway, maybe start here?

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

The LCARS thread solution was to reflash (sob!)

Running apt-get -f install produced this:

/home/user # apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
initfs-flasher libenchant1c2a
hildon-desktop-python-loader
python2.5-hildondesktop kernel-diablo-flasher
libfribidi0 libhunspell-1.1-0 flash-and-reboot
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
flash-and-reboot initfs-flasher
kernel-diablo-flasher
The following packages will be REMOVED:
osso-software-version-rx34
The following NEW packages will be installed:
flash-and-reboot initfs-flasher
kernel-diablo-flasher
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 1 to remove and 33 not upgraded.
Need to get 3750kB of archives.
After unpacking 3998kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com ./ flash-and-reboot 3 [2310B]
Get:2 http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com ./ initfs-flasher 0.95.16-200823maemo2 [2218kB]
Get:3 http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com ./ kernel-diablo-flasher 2.6.21-200823maemo3 [1530kB]
Fetched 3750kB in 14s (263kB/s)
dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `install-info' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
dpkg: 4 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)