Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Regarding the second improvement in your list, I was using Quick Launcher with my tohkbd, it was a great combination and allowed doing part of what you describe (just part of it, i.e. launching applications). I was leaving it permanently open, and when I needed to open a new app, Alt+Tab, "em", Return, boom here's your e-mail app maximized.

It worked even for apps already open, but in that case Alt+Tab was just simpler. You can also set shortcuts to several applications on F1-12 if I remember correctly. Quick Launcher was one of them for me, so I didn't even have to Alt+Tab first, I could just use the shortcut for QL to bring it to front and start typing. I barely needed the other shortcuts.

To be honest I seldom use Quick Launcher without a keyboard, it's often just easier to use the home screen or launcher. With a keyboard, however, it already provides a very good keyboard experience with Sailfish. Feels like having a Super key and a Linux menu with a search field.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-08-16 at 12:02.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
When there is a question, there is an answer.

Here is when the slider is closed, and the bottom side of the device. As well as the back of it.

Also part of the back.

We are finalising the Moto Mod development as well as making progress on this one, a lot of work to be done... Next update will be on the second half of this month.
Is it update time already?

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by NX500 View Post
Is it update time already?
No sorry. Moto mods needs to be finalised this week.

To give you an idea a normal bar style smartphone only has two moulding pieces: front plate and back plate.

On this mod we have 5+1 pieces, 2 for connector surfaces, two for bottom, one for the keys. And more importantly, the sliding frame which has metals and hinges.

I need to close it asap to get livermorium some reputation. Won't be too long. And once they have finished Moto will have a launch activity for us. (I like those Moto guys)

And maybe have some rest...

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
No sorry. Moto mods needs to be finalised this week.

To give you an idea a normal bar style smartphone only has two moulding pieces: front plate and back plate.

On this mod we have 5+1 pieces, 2 for connector surfaces, two for bottom, one for the keys. And more importantly, the sliding frame which has metals and hinges.

I need to close it asap to get livermorium some reputation. Won't be too long. And once they have finished Moto will have a launch activity for us. (I like those Moto guys)

And maybe have some rest...
I see. So just the reasons why the other manufacturers, like Samsung for example, arent interested in slider- aka more-complex phones.

Thanks for the mini-update!

And I hope you'll get your well-deserved rest then!

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
I see. So just the reasons why the other manufacturers, like Samsung for example, arent interested in slider- aka more-complex phones.

Thanks for the mini-update!

And I hope you'll get your well-deserved rest then!
Exactly. It adds more complexity on hardware. At least 4 additional mouldings in this qwerty phone compare with normal phone (Screen enclosures, keyboard top, keypad, and bottom, plus sliding frame) And need to wire another PCB for the keyboard. Plus need to solve how the front mic, camera and screen connect to bottom securely. And to make the the keys feel comfortable.

But rest assured we can solve all these parts. Our team have a strong background and I like tackling challenges.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-08-16 at 21:06.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
They also break more easily (See the "Oreo" problem on first Palm Prē) which is costly nightmare in logistics (returns, warranties, etc.)

And beside us geeks (who need to type code, shell, or use complex technical vocabularies, or multiple language that defy usual input tools) most of the other "normal" users can do with simplified input tools (autocorrect or swype) with the occasional small bluetooth keyboard.
So there no real point for a big company to invest the costly extra resources in producing slider keyboards, it won't attract that many additional users. Better invest in cameras, *that* one attract more users.

Also, slider keyboard add a little bit thickness, and given the current trends, having a smartphone thin enough to slice cheese with it is a fundamental need for everyone...

Thus, big thanks to chen to thinking about catering to the few with different needs like us.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
They also break more easily (See the "Oreo" problem on first Palm Prē) which is costly nightmare in logistics (returns, warranties, etc.)

And beside us geeks (who need to type code, shell, or use complex technical vocabularies, or multiple language that defy usual input tools) most of the other "normal" users can do with simplified input tools (autocorrect or swype) with the occasional small bluetooth keyboard.
So there no real point for a big company to invest the costly extra resources in producing slider keyboards, it won't attract that many additional users. Better invest in cameras, *that* one attract more users.

Also, slider keyboard add a little bit thickness, and given the current trends, having a smartphone thin enough to slice cheese with it is a fundamental need for everyone...

Thus, big thanks to chen to thinking about catering to the few with different needs like us.
That hits the point, apart from all the above point it also makes harder on warranty managements.

But the keyboard means a lot to me, it make a phone phone. And I believe this will make a difference to a lot people like our community.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Have seen the new Nokia flagship device announced today, I think ours is more Nokia than this "Nokia"

And I *will* make it into real.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Have seen the new Nokia flagship device announced today, I think ours is more Nokia than this "Nokia"
(Note: Heat-pipe cooled ?! WTF, Nokia ?!)

(Note: Carl Zeiss lens on the camera s - Niiice!)

Well given that the *phone-making* part of Nokia is what Microsoft brought (and subsequently rebranded), and this phone is made by *the remaining* part of Nokia (once enough time has passed for them to regain the right on Nokia branded phone),
and given that Jolla (and SFOS) is what was left of the former Nokia R&D branch working on maemo/meego phones and tablets,
Yes, your phone is *litteraly* more "Nokia" than this Nokia.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
(Note: Heat-pipe cooled ?! WTF, Nokia ?!)
That's nothing new, most phones ('flagships' at least) these days have that.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen