Active Topics

Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
But what if, uhh...someone is jamming the wifi! Or we're in an environment where radios are required to be turned off. Maybe? I'm sure there must be some conceivable reason for it.
I know you're joking but,..

Jamming wifi, with kali, and its Penetration testing tools, or jamming wifi with an, illegal, dedicated jamming device that kills every wireless connection within its radius?
Well, you wont be affected by Kali if a wifi-direct/bluetooth connection is used, because the chance that someone is sitting with their Kali-loaded-laptop/portable device, in your range, in your area, just waiting for you to start the communication, to start cracking a file transfer that will probably last a few seconds/minutes, at best, is a pretty unrealistic scenario.
And if someone around you is using a dedicated jamming device, to block every kind of wireless communication, you definetly have bigger things to worry about.

Of course, you might do an oldschool file transfer with an encrypted USB-Stick, in one of these

if you dont want to take any chances.

Chen might add it for retro-reasons, though.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
If IR bothers we can remove it. Thought it would be handy using the phone as universal controller using IR.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
If IR bothers we can remove it. Thought it would be handy using the phone as universal controller using IR.
Quick question. Is there an IR app on Jolla that's native?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
It doesn't bother me , also will the phone have NFC?, I could have sworn I saw the spec list mention it but now the earliest reference I can see from the thread is from myself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
It doesn't bother me , also will the phone have NFC?, I could have sworn I saw the spec list mention it but now the earliest reference I can see from the thread is from myself.
Yes NFC will be included. There will be an Android version in parallel (I really need to reach out to more buyers otherwise we are screwed...) So for Android it's important to have NFC for Android Pay etc.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
There will be an Android version in parallel (I really need to reach out to more buyers otherwise we are screwed...)
Well that remembers me on Indiana Jones:
"You have chosen wisely"

Indeed that is a very wise decision. Our community is great, but i fear it isn't really big anymore, so unfortunately building up a parallel Version with Android, is probably the only way to sell enough units.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Thats not what i meant!

I was only talking about file transfers over iR.

I really liked using my n900 as a remote.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Yes NFC will be included. There will be an Android version in parallel (I really need to reach out to more buyers otherwise we are screwed...) So for Android it's important to have NFC for Android Pay etc.
It was already discussed at the beginning of this thread when the question of the OS(es) was still open, but again I think it's a very sound decision. Your recent comments about the number of secured tablet sales and the mimimum batch size required to run production only emphasize how important it is to reach a community beyond ours, even if Maemians/Meegonians are obviously and objectively far superior to mere androids (!).

Even if the device is 99% an Android device and everyone on Earth considers it an "Android revolution" despite its roots here, there'll be no happier community than ours with 1% of units running Sailfish or another alternative. If you make it possible by opening the bootloader and actively supporting an official Sailfish port or community ports (hopefully with Sfdroid or Anbox, since Android compatiblity layer is really important in 2017, as sad as it can be), that's already a huge progress. A huge progress none of us really thought would be ever possible.

Hope Android sales and preorders will be good after proven success of the Moto Mod and Youyota tablet, as a mean to make our little dream come true.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
If porting sailfish to every device needs 6 month, I think Jolla can shut down. I hope porting Sailfish to Xperia just takes so long, because of the 64bit processor.

Otherwise I have no Idea how to get manufacturers to sell their devices with sailfish on it.

I'm planning to buy chen's qwerty device. But if it comes to market without a OS, that supports keyboard and other components like the camera, it doesn't make much sense for me.

Even worse:
If I have to wait for that device until summer next year (wich wouldn't be a huge problem) and than it turns out, that the hw is quite nice, but the software isn't. I probably don't have the chance anymore to buy the Xperia X.

...And no, I have enough devices for now, I won't buy first the Xperia X, just to replace it 6 month later with the Livermorium device
Thank you!

The biggest differentiation of this device is keyboard, and the OS must have a proper use of that. I can ensure that it wouldn't be N950's case - the device has a keyboard but the OS barely uses it.

Please rest assured the keyboard will integrate with the OS. It's called pocket PC

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
The biggest differentiation of this device is keyboard, and the OS must have a proper use of that.
{...}
Please rest assured the keyboard will integrate with the OS. It's called pocket PC
Well, given how well keyboards (both direct hardware like TOHKBD and wirless Bluetooth) work on Jolla1 even today (it works. Everywhere where there is an edit field, the keyboard can be used, and the touch screen one minimizes) this gives very high chance for the phone.

Same can be said for Android: several official devices had keyboards (starting from the first ever HTC Dream / G1) and there hasnalways been support for keyboard and mouse into it (try plugging a powered hub into some tablet's USB-OTG and USB keyboard / mouse and see what happens). Again all the text fields work as they should. And some apps even react in an intelligent way when you start typing (in WhatsApp, in the main view (where there is no input box) when you start typing, you automatically get a quicksearch box).

This last one brings us to the potential improvements on SFOS.

Don't get me wrong, Chen's device could already be shipped like this and be working.

But there's a lot of potential improvements. Currently SFOS is mainly a touch only system. When there is no input field in focus, a keyboard currently no further use.

Later updates on SFOS could also include intelligent things that the keyboard could do when no input field is in focus. E.g.:
- like the Android WhatsApp exemple above: when the display is a list, keypresses could help search around (this could help a lot with pull down menus on web pages. As their order is random, currently even SFOS "scrollbar with letter book marks" can't be used).

- like the "Just type" functionality on HP/Palm 's webOS. On the main app view with the app-cards, if you start typing you'll get automatic suggestion of anything: starting apps whose name matches your input, contacts, etc. Or even start specific actions: search the web with you input, start a note, etc. User-installed apps could provide their own pluggins for this feature (installed 3rd party map apps could provide a search actions)
Most of the interaction can be started by "Just" starting to type, and then clicking on one of the suggested quick-search results or quick actions.
(E.g.: just type "cam" and you'll get suggestions of starting the Camera app, quick search results of contacts called "Camille" or "Carol Meier", or search Wikipedia with keyword "cam")

- Palm's older PalmOS had base apps react on keypresses if you started Graffitying with the stylus or typing on external keyboard : the note taking app would automatically open a new note for you to write, the calendar app would start a new entry, or if the typed caracter was a number, start setting the time of this new entry.

So there's a lot of room for improving things even better.
But base functionality is already there.

And in my humble opinion it would be best to ship the device fast to get it into as many hands possible - even if there mostly input-field onoy support.
And subsequently improve the support in updates (keyboard uses outside of input fields).

Tha would give the possibility of motivated 3rd parties to also improve the support (some genius might write a "Just type" like functionality)

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen