Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
Movie/TV-seires subtitles are archived as .rar on many subtitle portals.
That explains it then, I rarely have to look up subtitle files because most things are in English anyway, apart from a few scandinavian dramas like The Bridge (Bron/Broen), which I am a big fan of!

Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
What is the problem you see with using .rar format ? Doesn't the command unrar come preinstalled with most linux flavors ?
Not a practical problem but an ideological one - it's not an open format and unrar is technically not free software.

Also, although it's not a practical problem (we can unpack it) why would you choose to use it when there are better supported (open format) alternatives with similar capabilities?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
That explains it then, I rarely have to look up subtitle files because most things are in English anyway, apart from a few scandinavian dramas like The Bridge (Bron/Broen), which I am a big fan of!
We have a similar taste of drama series! lovely!

Not a practical problem but an ideological one - it's not an open format and unrar is technically not free software.

Also, although it's not a practical problem (we can unpack it) why would you choose to use it when there are better supported (open format) alternatives with similar capabilities?
You are correct there; the only way world becomes a better place piece by piece is when we act out what we know is good.
This relates to both the software we use and the way we act in "the real life"

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
It depends on the target audience. If I am packaging for the small number of geeks, I use .gz. If for the rest of the world, then either .zip or .rar.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
If for the rest of the world, then either .zip or .rar.
Yeah it was .zip I was thinking of. Everyone knows what a zip is and it's good enough for most jobs, I think fewer people would know what a rar is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Yeah it was .zip I was thinking of. Everyone knows what a zip is and it's good enough for most jobs, I think fewer people would know what a rar is.
I must really be in a different world than all of you now. Zip, RAR, then Tar, GZip are what's in my world now. Past tense, yeah I supported mostly Linux servers when I did IT, but that's not where I am now as an UX person.

I think we're all tainting what the actual public uses by our very limited exposure to what the majority uses because a lot of us don't use Windows or Macs here, whereas that's where I'm solidly grounded now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
In my experience, .zip is more popular in Western Europe and North America, .rar in Central and Eastern Europe (not surprising given its origins).

I, living in the former but coming from the latter, am exposed to both about equally. OTOH, I have virtually no exposure to .tgz and friends except for in this small community

Not sure about Asia and RoW. Anyone here to testify?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I have virtually no exposure to .tgz and friends except for in this small community
Yeah it's quite a linuxy/unixy thing, probably partly because a zip does everything in one step so it's "easier" whereas with tar you have to choose which compression method you want on top etc (basic tar just joins files into an archive without compression).

Zip is easier for non-technical people on the receiving end too, e.g. unzip foo.zip vs tar -xf foo.tar.gz (command is even more complicated with older versions of tar).

Interesting that use varies by country - that's one of the nice things about this forum, we've got members from all over and it's not dominated by one group e.g. 90% Americans so you tend to get a broader spectrum of opinion.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I must really be in a different world than all of you now. Zip, RAR, then Tar, GZip are what's in my world now. Past tense, yeah I supported mostly Linux servers when I did IT, but that's not where I am now as an UX person.

I think we're all tainting what the actual public uses by our very limited exposure to what the majority uses because a lot of us don't use Windows or Macs here, whereas that's where I'm solidly grounded now.
I know what you mean, but not all of us have jobs in the tech sector!

I wonder what the split is?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
From what I understand Mega is one of the best ways to store your content if you really need an external cloudservice; it is fast, scalable and encrypted. No need to bash a nice service like that
Exactly. I feel people have unjustified prejudices against MEGA as cloud storage. They provide open source clients to Windows/Mac/Linux, and everything they store are strongly encrypted. And you can verify it by checking the source yourself if you want to.

How many of the other popular cloud storage services that people use without blinking an eye can say that?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Indeed, interesting point I didn't though before.
Thanks for the answer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Has someone already received his GPD Pocket, Ubuntu version?
I'm eagerly waiting for mine

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post: