Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
AIUI it's going to be disabled for NEW gmail accounts, so enough time to cook something up.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
AIUI it's going to be disabled for NEW gmail accounts, so enough time to cook something up.
New gmail accounts only? I thought from what I understand in the MfE thread that a reflash of phone would also mean a new set-up required hence it would be rendered unworkable...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
This is bad. Syncing contacts and calendars between accounts and devices has always been a true PITA. Mfe has made it somewhat bearable.

One step fwd, two steps back seems to be the rule these days.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
CardDAV is now more important than ever.

It's also an open spec; since its inception it's been the better choice in the long term...

The Following User Says Thank You to evujumenuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
New gmail accounts only? I thought from what I understand in the MfE thread that a reflash of phone would also mean a new set-up required hence it would be rendered unworkable...
Maybe you are right. I was thinking about syncml, and there you can't distinguish between a first and subsequent syncs so I thought the only possible meaning of the word new would be associated with the account, not the sync setup.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
a reflash of phone would also mean a new set-up required hence it would be rendered unworkable...
How would google know you had reflashed?
Isn't setup just a matter of putting the parameters into your phone? There is no handshaking with google for setup. Does your phone even have a unique identifier they can see?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to myk For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by myk View Post
How would google know you had reflashed?
Isn't setup just a matter of putting the parameters into your phone? There is no handshaking with google for setup. Does your phone even have a unique identifier they can see?
I have no idea but I would think that once you create an account on your device for syncing, it would most probably have some sort of identification that informs this is the first sync hence having the possibility of it being rejected... My post was based on Sergey's post:

Originally Posted by Sergey_Kashin View Post
Backup should work fine, but I don't think that after account re-creation you'll be able to sync it with google Of course it will depend on the Goggle's implementation on the server side, but most probably they will consider that this new account is trying to sync it self from a "different device", so server will reject the connection.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
With OAuth, new syncing setups would involve creating a new authentication token so first and subsequent syncs would be quite different.

But this is Exchange we're talking about, it sure as hell doesn't use OAuth, and I doubt Microsoft have bothered to create such a scheme themselves.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evujumenuk For This Useful Post:
Exchange has an expicit first time sync, so it's possible (you can do that again somewhere deep in the settings of the N900 if things get messed up). When syncing first time you set a master device (sync conflict priority) and some other settings.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I know it's been only a couple of days but any news on the CardDAV plugin? I am mildlya little bit shocked by this. Also, can someone please clarify: Will Google turn off the servers/protocol or just disable it for new users?

Last edited by dingspro; 2012-12-24 at 20:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to dingspro For This Useful Post:

Tags
caldav, carddav, google, moderator, move please, openstandards