Notices

Looking forward to the release with argument passing! If you want to let us know what the arguments will be, I can get a head start coding that into Saera to release when the update arrives.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Congrats on this release, it feels full-featured and polished.

Tested it on a OnePlus X with the 2.1.3.7 update and no connectivity. Off-line routing and real-time rerouting using OSM scout server worked very well. I am very impressed!

Voice directions with mimic also worked well. One small bug: with an English voice and American measurement units, measurements in "feet" were voiced as "miles".

Last edited by klinglerware; 2018-03-30 at 20:46.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Austria
i also tested it on a opx with sfos 2.1.3.7 now and offline navigation worked fine. one road direction was different, but that is a backend issue.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to smatkovi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Austria
when using voice navigation while playing music it pauses playback, but didn't resume after the directions. do you also experience this and is there something that could be done to resume playback automatically?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to smatkovi For This Useful Post:
Feedback on voice navigation: decent, but could use some work. Points noted on a test drive:
- as mentioned by klingerware, approaching an intersection I was given an instruction to "turn left in 1000 miles"
- one instruction was "in 2.5 miles, turn right." No other voice prompt was given when I actually reached the intersection.
- My destination was on a road parallel to the main road. As I drove past, it skipped the final turns and jumped straight to "you have arrived at your destination."

Additionally, I note that you are using maneuver nodes to determine when a turn is reached. I originally used this in Saera, however by itself it can lead to missed instructions if the gps cuts out as you pass a node. I switched to nodes + checking which segment is the closest, so that new directions can be given as soon as possible when you make a turn.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Pity I cannot try WhoGo since, as per post #3, it does not work on my device. As a general comment, I have used a commercial satnav that gave instructions of the kind, "make <manoeuvre> in <distance>", and I found it infinitely confusing. Fortunately a software upgrade turned it into a more common, " in <distance> make <manoeuvre>", which was much better.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Pity I cannot try WhoGo since, as per post #3, it does not work on my device. As a general comment, I have used a commercial satnav that gave instructions of the kind, "make <manoeuvre> in <distance>", and I found it infinitely confusing. Fortunately a software upgrade turned it into a more common, " in <distance> make <manoeuvre>", which was much better.
Its pity, indeed. Maybe its time to switch devices? We should have "In <distance>, <maneuver description>" in WhoGo and Poor Maps.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
- as mentioned by klingerware, approaching an intersection I was given an instruction to "turn left in 1000 miles"
I filed an issue now. I took a quick look earlier, but didn't find where the problem originates from.

- My destination was on a road parallel to the main road. As I drove past, it skipped the final turns and jumped straight to "you have arrived at your destination."
That's a known issue and hard to avoid.

Additionally, I note that you are using maneuver nodes to determine when a turn is reached. I originally used this in Saera, however by itself it can lead to missed instructions if the gps cuts out as you pass a node. I switched to nodes + checking which segment is the closest, so that new directions can be given as soon as possible when you make a turn.
Yes and no. The instructions are associated with maneuver points, but the system mainly works by comparing the GPS position with the route polyline segments, finding the closest segment and then the next maneuver node following that segment. Additionally, there are some tweaks to account for positioning inaccuracy etc.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Its pity, indeed. Maybe its time to switch devices?
I'm confused. I've WhoGo running on my JP1 just fine, using OSM Scout Server with profile "Recommended for vector tile maps". Navigation has the nice tilt option (why only when navigating?) Very smooth. It all works fully offline too. So, what am I missing here?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
I'm confused. I've WhoGo running on my JP1 just fine, using OSM Scout Server with profile "Recommended for vector tile maps". Navigation has the nice tilt option (why only when navigating?) Very smooth. It all works fully offline too. So, what am I missing here?
When we were testing Mapbox GL widget in summer 2017, it was a general conclusion that J1 is not able to handle OpenGL map component (crashes of test program, hanging of it and so on). Some time has passed, Mapbox GL and SFOS releases are out. Maybe something got fixed, it's hard to tell.

At that time, we also tested against Mapbox styles. So, maybe you could check whether you have any issues when using their basemaps.

If it all works, it's a great news. I think someone has been telling about positive results on J1 (maybe you). Good luck with testing !

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: