Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
You seem like the kind of person who will enjoy the N810. But you might want to wait a few months for a new device...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I think some of what you're being told on the Mapping programs is not quite right, like the (probably unintended) implication that Maemo Mapper doesn't provide turn-by-turn directions. (It does, but you have to download the route ahead-of-time -- it can't do it on the fly and it can't correct for detours or wrong turns. OTOH, it has certain advantages over a typical stand-alone GPS. E.g., you can download maps for free for anywhere in the world. If you're a traveler, that's really cool. Or, you can be on the street and superimpose a satellite photo map over your street map. Etc.) So I would say, see this How-To if you really want to know about Maemo Mapper navigation. For other mapping programs, see the Wiki, which might answer other questions you have, too.

I agree that you sound like a Tablet kinda guy. As for new versus old, you can pick up an N800 or N810 cheaply now on eBay and, if you want to jump on the new device when it comes out, you'll probably be able to re-sell the old one without suffering too steep a loss.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
You seem like the kind of person who will enjoy the N810. But you might want to wait a few months for a new device...
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles
If price isn't a huge issue (think ~$500 instead of ~$220 for the N810), I'd recommend waiting for the new tablets as both the N810 and the iPod Touch are really out of date at this point
Unfortunately for the time being i'm close to broke, I would be essentially trading in my touch and like 30 dollars. If the n900 seems awesome enough I can always just resell the n810 and sell my netbook and I will have acquired a little more disposable income by then.

Originally Posted by maacruz
Turn by turn directions are supported by navit (but you may not find good maps for navit)
The two towns which I am going to frequent regularly are both covered well by openstreetmaps, so I should be good, right?

Originally Posted by blutack
I would however consider getting an N800 instead of N810. You can use the money saved to get a keyboard and bluetooth GPS (which you'll probably need anyway) and you can expand the storage space to 32GB (2x SD cards)
I probably would if I wasn't intending on taking it everywhere with me, making size a big issue

edit:
Originally Posted by geraldko
you can pick up an N800 or N810 cheaply now on eBay and, if you want to jump on the new device when it comes out, you'll probably be able to re-sell the old one without suffering too steep a loss.
haha, we had the same thought on the issue, I didn't catch your post when originally writing my response

Last edited by notnarb; 2009-04-28 at 00:54.

Hate to say this because the screen on 810 is simply beautiful... but that's it, unless you have pretty good linux knowlege (don't know if i spelled that right) it's gonna be a pain for you. I just got both nokia 770 and 810 (i own an ipod touch too) and all i can tell besides the beautiful screen and long-lasting battery is really inmature software and a slower device when compared to the ipod touch.

Originally Posted by hlnkay View Post
Hate to say this because the screen on 810 is simply beautiful... but that's it, unless you have pretty good linux knowlege (don't know if i spelled that right) it's gonna be a pain for you. I just got both nokia 770 and 810 (i own an ipod touch too) and all i can tell besides the beautiful screen and long-lasting battery is really inmature software and a slower device when compared to the ipod touch.
I agree to a certain extent (well minus the pretty good Linux knowledge). If your willing to learn somewhat (or at least willing to read and follow instructions) then the device can do alot. Most of the software isn't really made easy for the user, having the user have to add extras to their list of repositories is already a step to much for most people.

But otherwise the device's hardware has gotten quite dated so it's no surprise it's slower when compared to the iPod Touch. If we were to compare the next Maemo device to the iPhone / iPod Touch it'd be more interesting. Though then you could argue that it's unfair for the iPod touch since the hardware might be in favor for the Maemo device.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i thought that extras was available, but disabled, by default these days.

also, adding something from tabletter or maemo.org will bring in extras anyways.

the buggest problem imo is that app manager do not inform the user of new software that the user do not already have a version of installed.

nor do the software section of maemo.org list everything available...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I agree to a certain extent (well minus the pretty good Linux knowledge). If your willing to learn somewhat (or at least willing to read and follow instructions) then the device can do alot. Most of the software isn't really made easy for the user, having the user have to add extras to their list of repositories is already a step to much for most people.

But otherwise the device's hardware has gotten quite dated so it's no surprise it's slower when compared to the iPod Touch. If we were to compare the next Maemo device to the iPhone / iPod Touch it'd be more interesting. Though then you could argue that it's unfair for the iPod touch since the hardware might be in favor for the Maemo device.
You are right, i didnt' realize at this point how old are the nokia tablets compared the ipod touch (by the way, somewhere i read that the n810 has a powervr chip somewehat similar to the one found in the ipod touch but in the initial os release didnt have any driver to take advantage of it when it was released... is there a driver now?)

If adding repositories and choosing applications was the only thing i needed to do i would have declared the 810 the ultimate winner over the ipod. Most of the time i have spent with my tablet so far have been looking for information in the forums or google-searching about setting up this toy.

I might sound frustraded right now ... maybe because i spent the day fighting with the device, but don't think it's a waste, come think of it ... it's an INTERNET TABLET and:

1) browsing the web in such a screen is awesome

2) the battery lasting time is mind-blowing (bought my device in a ebay-type site so it's not new and still i cant believe i can stay for hours browsing the web and watch the battery metter still over 75% XDDD)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the N810 is basically the N800 with a keyboard and GPS chip...

and i think the N800 had been on market a while when apple launched the original iphone and ipod touch (basically a iphone without the GSM radio).

as for the powervr chip, no drivers available, and unlikely there will be...

edit:
got to love wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Touch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N800
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N810

Last edited by tso; 2009-04-28 at 06:05.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Most of the time i have spent with my tablet so far have been looking for information in the forums or google-searching about setting up this toy.
now that's strange. what would you have to set up (besides your mail accounts), what information would you need to google for... if you only plan to use the device? (=surf, mail, rss, internet radio, chat,...)

i know there's situations when you need to dig deep, deep down and turn the whole Maemo thingie upside down in order to get things to work. but these things are hacks in the first place, so the frustration about them being difficult shouldn't outweigh the joy about the fact that they're possible at all.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
The ipod is a thing that does just a few things Steve wants it to do.
The N8x0 are things that do (almost) anything you want them to do.
And that, my little grasshopper, is the difference.
About software inmaturity... I find openoffice.org quite mature :P
Tonge in cheek jokes appart, some software is very mature, and some is not, it depends on what you need to do.

Tags
ipod, n810