Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Bristol, UK
Thank you all for the information on making a wireless charing Otherhalf.

I have just typed up my experiences making one and up loaded it to http://www.jollatides.com/forums/dis...harging#Item_3

Any advice on where I have gotten stuck would be great.

Thanks all

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
@Grimtech: The links don't work in the blog post.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Bristol, UK
Thank you for the heads up.

I have just fixed the eBay links, Ta!

The Following User Says Thank You to Grimtech For This Useful Post:
The link back to this thread is also wrong (circular link back to the blog article). I think that's the only remaining link that isn't working. Nice blog post, hope you resolve the issue of the blinking lights.

I did some more experiments.
This time, I used a Qi charging set with a receiver that's said to output 1000mA.

The voltage while idle is pretty much exactly 5V.
I couldn't measure the voltage while loading due to the way I attached the receiver to the phone (see below).

The csd-tool reports charging currents up to ~780mA.
However, the current seems to fluctuate pretty much sometimes.

I am currently charging the phone via this setup.
So far, it charged for about 20% (from 50% to 70%) in about 30 minutes and about 40% (from 50% to 90%) in ~63 minutes.
This is about 1.43 times faster than with the touchstone kit.
The maximum charging current, however, is approximately 1.81 times bigger than with the touchstone kit.
The "slower than expected" charging could be due to the fluctuations in charging current.

This time, I didn't use additional cables to connect the receiver to the phone.
Instead, I used the flat cables that are already attached to the receiver.
However, the contact pins don't have the right polarity.
To correct this I cut the plastic between the flat wires and crossed the wires by bending one wire over the other.
Then I used a rasp/file to blanken the flat wires (remove the plastic cover) at the desired positions and used tin-solder to form new connection pads.
Finally, I could paste the receiver into the phone using the already pre-attached double-sided adhesive tape.
I added some more adhesive tape in order to push the connection pads down to improve the contact.

While charging the device gets pretty warm.
The location of the warm spot seems to be roughly underneath the camera.
I will try to keep an eye on that.

I attached some photos of all this.
Attached Images

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Finland
I purchased QI set for Galaxy S3. Polarity is correctly, but unfortunately receiver did not fit "plug and play" as it's too wide and also pins are more wider on S3.

Anyhow, small modifications. Rotated receiver 90 degrees and recycling old led stripe to make flat cable and now it's working.

Receiver has 1000mA input and 600mA output. Charging current fluctuates but 620mA is maxium which I have noticed for this receiver. Voltage is stable 5.00 volts when unplugged.

Phone seems to need placed pretty accurately to pad while charging. As this is my first wireless charging device I don't know if that is normal or not

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181276764838
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to junnuvi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
For those considering the Palm Touchstone charging module there is this thread which might have useful info. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56950
Anyone who can add to that thread there is still interest just not much new information for the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Finland
I just noticed annoying problem.

When battery gets full phone will start stop loading. But as loading has been stopped it will drop below 100% and right after that it starts charging again.

This causes continuously *BEEP* Charing, *Beep* Charging, *BEEP* Charging -loop.

Anyone else has this problem?

Originally Posted by junnuvi View Post
This causes continuously *BEEP* Charing, *Beep* Charging, *BEEP* Charging -loop.
^This, and why we need official wireless charging accessories with official OS support. It's likely the OS needs to be "tuned" for wireless charging to prevent such annoyances.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
This doesn't concern only wireless charging - it will also most likely affect external batteries too, so it is a bug on the charging input of the TOH (should be handled the same as USB charging)...

Reported: https://together.jolla.com/question/...ttery-is-full/

Last edited by Bundyo; 2014-01-03 at 16:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post: