Same here, i was browsing through the android market and most apps are kinda unnecesary.

Besides with the N900 not only can you see the insides of the apps, but you can also make your own and contribute with other proyects.

What i meant by "outdated" was that when the N9 comes out, most developers would start to make apps for it and slowly leave the N900 behind. However, Meego will be there for the N900, so there´s not much worrying about that after all.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by darksurfer View Post
Same here, i was browsing through the android market and most apps are kinda unnecesary.

Besides with the N900 not only can you see the insides of the apps, but you can also make your own and contribute with other proyects.

What i meant by "outdated" was that when the N9 comes out, most developers would start to make apps for it and slowly leave the N900 behind. However, Meego will be there for the N900, so there´s not much worrying about that after all.
have you heard of qt 4.6?

By the way, thanks for starting this thread. The responses have made me feel even better about my spare n900 purchase

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
My "gut feeling" (based on nothing) is that first generation MeeGo phone will be very similar to N900 in hardware. We won't know for sure until it is announced, though. Maybe they will "wow" us with a real game-changing device.
As i played a bit with N8 prototype i'd say "definitely not". It is likely to be *much* faster. It is shame that Nokia did not drop Symbian on n series as promised already :-(

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
future of the N900 is the N9 ! need it

Originally Posted by darksurfer View Post
What future is there for this great phone? I don´t want to get the phone, then find out that i´m gonna end up where i started, with a phone that has no future support.
It's nearly a year old, and is nearly End of Life for direct support. Once the n9 comes out, it should be all done - that's rumored to be by the end of this year.

It's a decent and fairly open hacking platform, so if you get it for a decent price you can get a year or two of use out of it. The stock OS (maemo) is functional as it goes, and you can pretty much develop/customize far easier than winmo.

You should like it a lot more than winmo, that's for sure.

I dunno what to tell you. I always assume every phone I purchase is obsolete the moment it ships, and needs to be replaced within a year. Two years is forever for mobile hardware, even if there are OS updates.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki Finland
Nokia has pushed N900 to side track months ago. From their perspective, N900 and it's users do not exist.
I've asked their support issues concerning N900 (like getting decent version of Maps app) and it's about same as sending an email to Jupiter.

N900 is a record phone from Nokia. In less than a year (well.. in 6-8 months), it's official support is gone, where are all qgils and other Nokia fellows from this forum, nobody knows about patches etc.

Last spring they were telling us how Maemo is future of Nokia's smart phones, even in this forum.

Anyway, N900 is a good piece of HW and hopefully the community can extend it's life by porting Meego (with Maps of course) to N900. Nitroid looks promising, too.

Nokia will not do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to oneFinn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
Originally Posted by oneFinn View Post
N900 is a record phone from Nokia. In less than a year (well.. in 6-8 months), it's official support is gone, where are all qgils and other Nokia fellows from this forum, nobody knows about patches etc.

Last spring they were telling us how Maemo is future of Nokia's smart phones, even in this forum.

Anyway, N900 is a good piece of HW and hopefully the community can extend it's life by porting Meego (with Maps of course) to N900. Nitroid looks promising, too.

Nokia will not do it.
so it means n900 father has died (nokia) and this community has adopt it!