Notices

This summer we released Flare Elite for the N900.

http://store.ovi.com/content/158144

It is a retro style shoot'em up, with 13 challenging missions, five weapons to choose from, all kinds of ship add-ons, a wide variety of enemies and a lovely original soundtrack.

The game was originally released for iPhone and I made the Qt version of the game for Maemo. (as a long-time maemo user, it was kind of my pet project )

Firi Games is an independent game studio based in the Netherlands and focuses on games for mobile platforms (currently mostly iPhone).

http://www.firigames.com/flare

We hope you enjoy Flare Elite on the N900!
Support questions or feedback can be mailed to support@firigames.com or just reply to this thread
On the F.A.Q. page for the iPhone version are also a few tips for playing the game:
http://www.firigames.com/flare/faq

F.A.Q.

Are the N900 and iPhone versions different?
The N900 version has some higher resolution textures and a different control scheme (more traditional).

The game can sometimes be challenging, any additional tips?

Upgrading your weapons is key. If you don't have enough rank points to upgrade, you can replay an earlier (easier) level and earn additional points.
Attached Images

The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
I bought it some time ago in the OVI store...

Didn't give myself enough time to play it a lot, but my first impression it that it looks polished and has a good control. The price can't be a reason not to give it a try if you like shoot-em-ups.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
will you be releasing a meego-harmattan and symbian Qt version?

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ NanJing China
could you upload here? Ovi is not available in my country!

Originally Posted by pursueky View Post
could you upload here? Ovi is not available in my country!
Sorry, this is a commercial game, its not free of charge. You may contact the developer yourself - 问楼主。

Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
will you be releasing a meego-harmattan and symbian Qt version?
We would VERY much like to.

But we can't release a meego-harmattan version without hardware to test it on. We don't have a N9-dev kit, and the N950 Developer Kit programme seems to be closed at this time. If somebody can help us get a N9-dev kit I'm pretty sure releasing Flare Elite for the N9 would be very quick
Otherwise it may take some time considering that the N9 isn't even scheduled to be released here in the Netherlands.

We did some experimenting for a Symbian port, but there were/are some technical issues. I found a very nasty bug in the standard library, that needs to be fixed or worked-around. I just got the Symbian Anna update yesterday on my C7, I'm hoping it resolves the problem (Will test that soon).
Also Symbian^3 requires some extra work because of video memory management, and probably some nasty hacks in order to use video memory optimally.
The current S^3 devices have very little video memory (luckily Nokia increased video memory in the new Nokia 701 dramatically).

UPDATE: The bug that I experienced in Symbian seems to be resolved in Symbian Anna. So a Symbian version will probably be available in the future.

Last edited by Bernard; 2011-09-01 at 08:40. Reason: Updated information

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Today, Flare Elite is the top selling game for the N900 on Ovi store!

To be really honest, that doesn't say very much since software sales for N900 aren't very high, but as the developer of the N900 version it is very cool to see the image of the game on the number 1 position ahead of the four Angry birds level packs.

Nice to see that people bought the game and hopefully enjoy it.

Also did you know that the Harmattan icon pack for N900 contains a very nice looking harmattan-style icon for Flare Elite based on image in the Ovi store? I think I prefer it over the original actually.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
I bought it one month ago or so and I can recommand it for the price, it's a good shoot'em up, bit tough, lot of upgrades, only one compaint: a bit too short...

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Keep up the good work guys!
We want more!

Guys why i cannot get acess to ovitore i live in portugal and im on the latest firmware 1.3pr keep asking me to update my phone, but i dont have any update available!
Any ideas???

The Following User Says Thank You to B-RUNO For This Useful Post: