Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
[...]

The new rules cover liquids such as water and other beverages, gels, pastes, lotions and the contents of aerosol cans. Toiletries such as toothpaste, shaving cream, hair gel, lip gloss and creams also fall under the rules.

These are the rules for liquids in your hand luggage:
1. You can only take liquids and gels in containers of no more than 100 millilitres on board the aircraft.
2. These containers must be carried in transparent plastic bags.
3. There is a limit of one transparent plastic bag per person.
4. The volume of the transparent plastic bag may not be greater than 1 litre.
5. The transparent plastic bag must be re-sealable.

You may bring a suitable plastic bag from home. During the introductory period, free transparent plastic bags will also be given out at all Dutch airports.

There are two exceptions to the above rules:
a. Baby food needed during the flight;
b. Medicines needed during the flight.

[...]
Link.

Counts for whole EU, when you depart from EU airport, or change flight in EU airport. So, on way back, you'll have to go through this nonsense. Sorry for that...

If you use lenses they will confiscate your lense cleaner if large bottle so get a small one.

I also experiened on German airport that German Customs refused to speak English to me.

Anyone have news on the logistics side of the presentation ?

I checked the maemo.org pages about the summit yesterday but am stille having trouble making sense of them :-)

Are the presentations still to be PDF-only ? Will it be possible to display live demos from tablets ? Should everyone make their own badges before coming ? etc. ...

Or is it all going to be one huge, impro jam session ? :-)

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Anyone have news on the logistics side of the presentation ?

I checked the maemo.org pages about the summit yesterday but am stille having trouble making sense of them :-)

Are the presentations still to be PDF-only ? Will it be possible to display live demos from tablets ? Should everyone make their own badges before coming ? etc. ...

Or is it all going to be one huge, impro jam session ? :-)
There will be video of the main sessions and when concurrent sessions are running I will have to decide which ones get recorded (depends on room logistics and if the talk will be interesting to video). In addition to this there will be audio only for most talks and .pdf's should be distributed too.

Does that cover it for you

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'm going to be bringing 2 N800s, a portable HDD, a camera, a battery pack, a hub, my bluetooth GPS, bluetooth keyboard, lots of spare AA batteries, lots of wires and connectors, etc... I hope they don't think I'm trying to build a bomb or something.

If you're really worried about it, you could always ask your hotel if you can send yourself an over-night package in advance (via the postal service, and not via courier). Put all of your batteries, wires, connectors, maybe the keyboard and GPS, into the package, maybe even some of your other stuff (since some airlines are charging for luggage these days).

You'll still have to do a customs declaration on the stuff, but at least you don't have to go through the inspection stuff at the airport.

Last edited by johnkzin; 2008-09-15 at 14:30.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Laptop is in the headline. Headlines are hardly ever accurate, and you clearly haven't read the article. The article speaks about any device able to store data. That includes a DAP, camera, PDA, cellphone too, for example.
You clearly didn't understand what I said.

The article and policy might say "any device", but that doesn't mean that the TSA screeners are actually looking for "any device". It's kind of like traffic laws -- there are tons of them that don't get enforced because doing so would be impractical, inconsistent, and the enforcement agency doesn't have enough bandwidth to actually pursue them.

On the site TSA screeners aren't going to look for every data storing device and spend time flagging it or inspecting it. There aren't enough of them to spend that much time on it. They're going to look for the obvious ones, not the marginal ones.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Besides that, I don't wish to be treated like an animal/criminal, and the last time I was in the USA it was heading that way. Fingerprints, iris scan, address, searching through all bagage, have to explain what I come doing. On SFO I even had to put my shoes off. Then again, thats California...
That's not just California. That's a reaction to the shoe bomber from the UK. Airports all over the US are expecting you to put your shoes into the scanner along with your carry-ons. That has caused more people to travel with flip-flops instead of shoes (easy on and easy off).

And, again, sending things like your liquids through the over-night postal service can help you avoid that.

Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
There will be video of the main sessions and when concurrent sessions are running I will have to decide which ones get recorded (depends on room logistics and if the talk will be interesting to video). In addition to this there will be audio only for most talks and .pdf's should be distributed too.

Where will they be posted?

Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
Er, no, sorry :-)

Probably my question wasn't clear...
I wasn't asking about recording the presentations, but how *giving* one was going to happen.

Can I/should I bring my own laptop ?

If not, what format should the presentation be to run on the provided computer/projector ? PDF ? Impress ? Powerpoint ?...

Will there be some way to hook up a N8x0 to the projector to demo things from a tablet, or do I need to include the screenshots in the presentation ?

Just the logistics, really. OTOH, if I'm the only one dumb enough not to have found the answers already (quite possible), the others will enlighten me on Friday :-)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well, I'm off in a few short hours. I'll be in the air all night, and I'll be getting in around 3pm on Tuesday.

Anybody staying at the Ibis Mitte Tuesday night? Meet at the bar or something?

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Er, no, sorry :-)

Probably my question wasn't clear...
I wasn't asking about recording the presentations, but how *giving* one was going to happen.

Can I/should I bring my own laptop ?

If not, what format should the presentation be to run on the provided computer/projector ? PDF ? Impress ? Powerpoint ?...

Will there be some way to hook up a N8x0 to the projector to demo things from a tablet, or do I need to include the screenshots in the presentation ?

Just the logistics, really. OTOH, if I'm the only one dumb enough not to have found the answers already (quite possible), the others will enlighten me on Friday :-)
Yes, bring your own laptop... but please, as a backup and for documentation, make up PDF's/image slideshow so you don't get stuck with no way to present.

There will be demo n8x0 ( I believe n810's ) for the projectors, no I don't know how they are connected, but they will be there.

Logistically I would also prepare slides/snapshots in case, for whatever reason, networks are slow or unreliable. We are packed to the gills and I would be very upset at having to rearrange/cancel slots at this point because you needed a 5mbps connection to complete your session.

If you have special or unusual needs please bring it mine ( Eric Warnke ) or one of the other organizers as soon as possible so we can get things moving

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo.org