Hope you can help me out a bit. The stock Media Player will not refresh the library. It shows some videos that just don't exist on either card or internal. When you go to play or delete it says can't find media. I reinstalled os2008 and did a restore of just email because you have to restore at least one thing. And the same list is still in the player and won't come out. Also will not refresh. I love this player most of all for videos, because it is simple to play and delete right from device. Other players are still not as easy to use. Any help would be a big thanks.
I have had this for about a year and am somewhat familiar with it.

Also camera and video camera will not flip when in use. Any thoughts on that. Although it is a crappy camera. N900 will have at least a 5 meg in it. I hope.

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
I was having an issue where Media Player would not build the library at all and the pop window that said "unable to perform operation." I renamed the file called ".meta_storage" to ".meta_storage_bak" and then as root, entered "reboot" on the command-line. I found this posted here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=21356

After booting, when I opened Media Player the unable to perform operation message appeared briefly, but the library did rebuild. Seems ok now.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Also, if you're using the latest version, there's a bug in metalayer-crawler. Usually this bug results in an empty list in Media Player, but maybe there are variations...

Mine just quit yesterday too! It worked fine yesterday and then when I tried to start it.. it finds no media..at all.
I had a ton of music on the internal card, and now I will reload some to the device by cable and see if that helps. If there's a metalayer bug or whatever the prior posters mentioned. How should we recover? Thanks.

Follow up: Loading some new music didn't make it rebuild the library, but I can play the media out of the file manager. Its just a hassle to go that way. Should we try a new media player?
I checked for updates over the application manager and got nothing.

Last edited by Deserttaxguy; 2009-01-15 at 18:52. Reason: follow up

Try what I posted above. I had the same issues and that cleared things up.

The Following User Says Thank You to mfortner For This Useful Post:
mfortner wrote:

I renamed the file called ".meta_storage" to ".meta_storage_bak" and then as root, entered "reboot" on the command-line.

Wayne replies:
How do I find the file ".meta_storage"?
How do I become "root"?

Wayne Estes

Originally Posted by Wayne Estes View Post
How do I find the file ".meta_storage"?
That file is located in your home folder, more specifically /home/user
If you run X Terminal, it will start you there, as indicated by ~ at the command prompt.
Originally Posted by Wayne Estes View Post
How do I become "root"?
There a number of ways to enable root access as described here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access
Let's assume you choose to install rootsh, you would simply type sudo gainroot at the command prompt. After that, any commands you run are "as root"

The Following User Says Thank You to superbondbond For This Useful Post:
Hm. This has again happened to me, but now altering the .meta_storage file has no effect.

I deleted the .meta_storage and restored a previous backup. Seems to fixed it.

Originally Posted by mfortner View Post
I deleted the .meta_storage and restored a previous backup. Seems to fixed it.

I tried this a month or so ago and got nothing. The library would not re-build. I was glad that I did not dlete my old library. I had changed out a few CD's but most were the same.

Is there any point in doing this again?
Has anythig changed with Media Player in the last ferw weeks?
I wonered about contacting Nokia, is it worth even bothering?