Notices

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Hi,

Just a short update to let you know that the Maemo Bugzilla (http://bugs.maemo.org/) now has a section for the Internet Tablet Video Converter. Please file any bugs/enhancement requests there. If possible, include short relevant video clips as attachments to your bugs as that'll help us diagnose specific video/codec issues.

Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
The easy one first -- from Post #21 -- the reason you're seeing the error about the PythonPlugins instance is that the Windows .NET framework is not installed. You can check whether it is or it isn't by looking in the Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs. The Video Converter app should install .NET for you if it's not there already. Did you by any chance stop that part of the installer or something? In either case, if you can reproduce this bug with a clean install, please let me know (via PM or in this thread) and we'll look into it ASAP.
Hi Victor. I checked and you are indeed right. No .NET Framework.

However, I uninstalled/reinstalled Nokia Video Converter, and I'm still getting the same error message. I think that qualifies as reproducing the bug with a clean install, yes? I'll go ahead and manually install the .NET Framework, although I'm not sure which version I should use.

My machine is running Windows XP SP2. I don't know what else is relevant.

Originally Posted by calador View Post
Hi Victor. I checked and you are indeed right. No .NET Framework.

However, I uninstalled/reinstalled Nokia Video Converter, and I'm still getting the same error message. I think that qualifies as reproducing the bug with a clean install, yes? I'll go ahead and manually install the .NET Framework, although I'm not sure which version I should use.

My machine is running Windows XP SP2. I don't know what else is relevant.
Hi,

Would you mind filing a bug on this at http://bugs.maemo.org? Please mention in the bug report if you're using any firewall software that would prevent .NET from downloading and installing. It doesn't sound that way, but I'd like to make sure. I suspect what's happening is that the installer is mis-diagnosing that you don't have .NET installed for some reason.

In the meantime you can download the .NET 2.0 framework from Microsoft directly and that should mitigate the problem.

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
Jeff,

What bitrate is the resulting file using for both video and audio?

If it's distinctly better than what you've got with tablet-encode (even after you've fiddled with the presets), obviously I'd like to know!

Could you compare it with the current svn version of tablet-encode which will become v2.01 at some point:

https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...iautils&rev=47

Primarily the presets have been simplified and generally bumped up, with "best" now topping out at 800kbps/192kbps audio. There's also a slight sharpening filter applied to try and improve the appearance. Initial comments from testers have been positive, but I'd appreciate your feedback.

Hey all - new to tablets, linux, and the forum - I unfortunately can't compare it to the app you mention. I can give you a rundown of what i see in XP though. The Nokia ITVC app appears to have 4 settings for video/audio compression:

Best: 860 kbps video - 400x240 - 30 fps 128k audio
Better: 640 kbps video - 400x240 - 27 fps 96k audio (default)
Good: 400 kbps video - 400x240 - 25 fps 80k audio
Low: 200 kbps video - 400x240 - 24 fps 64k audio

I've converted two files at the default setting, one a small .wmv clip and the other a large avi file (51 minutes @ 700 megs). They convert as MPEG-4 with AAC audio('Low' when using the better settings). The compression using 'better' shrunk the 700meg .avi file to ~266.

I have an N800, running OS2008 v2.2007.50-2, playing from the external slot on a Kingston 2g SD card. MPlayer and Canola2 stutter horribly on video and audio (just with these two clips), while I get really smooth playback using the default Media Player. I've yet to try the best setting.

Hope this helps some, or at least keeps your windows friends from bugging you.

Chris

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
I had the same issues as well. Converted a whole bunch of BMW Films using NITVC and none of them would play properly ('choking' / 'chunking') on any media player on the iT.

In the end, I went back to using N800 Video Convert which accepts any video that I can play back on my PC (.mkv/.AVI/.mp4, etc - haven't tried .mov yet) and the output plays back fine on my NiT. I know, since I have random movies playing in the background while I work, and I have not experienced any playback problems.

The downside, however, is that not all the clips can be played by Media Player. No idea why, but some of them require mPlayer. Needs to be investigated.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
Originally Posted by AtlantaFarming View Post
Best: 860 kbps video - 400x240 - 30 fps 128k audio
Better: 640 kbps video - 400x240 - 27 fps 96k audio (default)
Good: 400 kbps video - 400x240 - 25 fps 80k audio
Low: 200 kbps video - 400x240 - 24 fps 64k audio
Just an advise: do NOT try to convert the frame rate of the video.
Doing so may lead to bad video quality and loss of audio / video synchronization (aka lipsynch).
If you really want to reduce the frame rate, use an integer factor (one frame out of 2 or 3), for example to convert 30 fps to 15 fps. Other value are usually a mess.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rheve For This Useful Post:
There's a new release of the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter available: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The new version now provides support for Windows Vista as well as XP. In addition, we've made some serious upgrades to the codecs used so the video quality should be significantly enhanced. Many of the bugs reported have been fixed by this release, so please try it out and let us know your thoughts.

Thanks

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post:
Can I go back to the old interface?? I don't like the new interface as much as the old style. I just installed it on a new machine and saw this different interface.

Originally Posted by ylsf View Post
Can I go back to the old interface?? I don't like the new interface as much as the old style. I just installed it on a new machine and saw this different interface.
Sorry -- what? We haven't changed the interface at all.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

So I installed the latest version of the Video Converter...my first video I converted...came out upside down. The source file is correct, but the output file was upside down. Anyone else get this?