Active Topics

Originally Posted by aflegg
My German's pretty bad - do they ship within the EU, i.e. to the UK?
Looks like Eur 19.90 shipping to UK, and they don't seem to take credit cards, as far as I can see. Pity, they have some nice stuff.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by SD69
Thanks for the research and review. Is the PMA430 unable to retrieve images from a Windows PC via Wifi? This was touted as one of the advantages (and distinction over the 770) of the next-gen Archos I posted here, but maybe that feature was only for the 604?
There is a Samba package for the PMA430. I haven't tried it myself, but apparently it's quite good. However, no video or image streaming exists for it and there is only a very rudimentary audio streaming package. But that's actually not bad: I need my 770 to have the edge in some fields.

Don't ask about the 604; I only "do" real computers, not glorified VCRs.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
There is a Samba package for the PMA430. I haven't tried it myself, but apparently it's quite good. However, no video or image streaming exists for it and there is only a very rudimentary audio streaming package. But that's actually not bad: I need my 770 to have the edge in some fields.

Don't ask about the 604; I only "do" real computers, not glorified VCRs.
The 770 cannot access Windows PC files (that I know of). I am more interested in computers myself than PSP type devices.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by SD69
The 770 cannot access Windows PC files (that I know of). I am more interested in computers myself than PSP type devices.
There are several entries in the Wiki-howto's devoted to accessing Windows shared folders from a 770:

https://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo
(see the "Networking" section)

Originally Posted by Robh
Looks like Eur 19.90 shipping to UK, and they don't seem to take credit cards, as far as I can see. Pity, they have some nice stuff.
The French site definitely takes cred cards, dunno if they'll ship abroad though. Germans seem to be more into money transfers, but I've already ordered from German sites this way.

Originally Posted by aflegg
Haven't you got an F-to-F coupler at the end of the 'Y' which is floating, to give you a socket into which you can plug stuff?
UK?
The floating plug at the upper left of the picture is a female A plug, so for most practical uses you shouldn't need anything else, that's the beauty of it :-)

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
There are several entries in the Wiki-howto's devoted to accessing Windows shared folders from a 770:

https://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo
(see the "Networking" section)
Thanks, but I meant doing it without voiding the warranty.

How does doing any of this void your warranty ?

Originally Posted by fpp
I'm curious about that as well.

Originally Posted by fpp
Sorry I wasn't specific. It's not accessing image files on a Windows PC that voids the warranty, it is the prerequisite step of hacking the 770 to gain root access that voids the warranty. I believe the topic was discussed here or on maemo.