Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35590

OK, the screen is still too small IMHO but some of the open source development ideas sound good - it's almost a shame they're in competition (for hearts & minds) with Maemo!

It makes me wonder how many alternative "open" platforms are neeed in the mobile space. Too many alternatives may lead to fragmentation and niche development, leaving Windows Mobile to continue it's domination of the mass market.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
More screenshots and apparently the first device is called the Neo1973.

From a hardware perspective, I'd say it rivals the upcoming "870" aside from the low resolution screen and lack of BT & WiFi - the builtin GPS is a good idea though.

As for the software, it will be interesting to see how FIC manage to co-ordinate the open source community - they certainly can't make a worse job of it than Nokia (no roadmaps, withheld information, lack of feedback on bugs etc.).

Unfortunately it's the small screen and lack of BT/WiFi that kills it for me - but a next generation device with BT/WiFi + bigger & higher resolution screen could be a serious rival to the 870 (or would we have a 970 by then?)

Last edited by Milhouse; 2006-12-05 at 18:10.