Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
Sorry, trying my best not to wrap myself around the spec-sheet arms race... Fortunately, to satisfy my hunger for more powaaa, G2's 512MB RAM ain't bad and an OC of 1.2-1.5MHz might just be my cup of tea
Thankfully, the Android side experiences very little "arms race" since the ARM's tend to be very efficient even at low MHz. (Har har) I think people are far more about what the hardware can support and DO than about how fast it can do it, most of the time, since the OS seems to run surprisingly well even on low MHz devices so long as you have enough RAM. RAM and memory management seems to be the only REAL problem and most of that is conditioned VERY well with the V6 Supercharger or with newer versions of Android (i.e. 2.3.4 is GREAT for battery, task and memory management).

That's what my quick browse around the interwebz resulted as well: more under-the-hood "clean-up" on Gingerbread than anything else.
Yup--most of the 2.x updates have almost entirely been under-the-hood, but MAN you can definitely notice and feel the difference from one version to the next, despite the visual/UI similarities.

So this flashing the ROM thing, I can't just freely pick up let's say the latest 2.3 instead of my stock 2.2; modules will not be working, OS is not optified etc. sort of like our fine devels on the NITDroid side have been filing on their changelogs?

Or on one device the new ROM works perfectly, but due to hardware incompatibility it might not work on another (HTC vs Samsung vs Moto)?
Not entirely sure what you mean, but every device has to have firmware made for it individually. Just as you can't run Maemo 5 on an N8x0 device, and you can't use N8x0's OS2008 on an N900. You need to compile the firmware to handle each device. Additionally, Android (and the Dalvik virtual machine) run on MANY different processors--so you also have to target your ROM build for those different architectures altogether. Thankfully, once you get all the ROM stuff out of the way, the apps should generally run without regard for any of that because of the virtual machine running on that platform.

Sorry for the noob questions, I've been under Nokia (Symbian and Maemo) for the last 7 years...
I'm very thankful to my past-self for not hanging on Nokia's numerous promises. You certainly COULD be forgiven and it's understandable--but, especially in this thread, you're among like-minded ex-Maemo (or still current-Maemo) users who can relate. Don't apologize.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
...You need to compile the firmware to handle each device. Additionally, Android (and the Dalvik virtual machine) run on MANY different processors--so you also have to target your ROM build for those different architectures altogether. Thankfully, once you get all the ROM stuff out of the way, the apps should generally run without regard for any of that because of the virtual machine running on that platform.
Thanks that clarified it.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
Thanks that clarified it.
No problem at all! On that note, though, I took a quick look and you're VERY well supported for CyanogenMod ROM: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/t-mobile-g2 There's stable release up to 7.0.3. Go forth and ROMify!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Hate.
Don't be hating Dan.

Remember the only thing I had to complain about the Transformer?
Left speaker volume way lower than the Right.

Finally fixed it last night by just editing a few values on the srs_processing.cfg file

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
Don't be hating Dan.

Remember the only thing I had to complain about the Transformer?
Left speaker volume way lower than the Right.

Finally fixed it last night by just editing a few values on the srs_processing.cfg file
So. Much. Hate. I will get back at you by buying one of these whenever Best Buy gets them back in stock, you lousy cork sucker!! Grr!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Care to share? I've booted Ubuntu on my Vibrant, but it won't (or I can't get it to) work on my S7. I'd love to give easy debian a shot on either.
Yes, the thing is quite a work-in-progress, however I'm going to upload my image and scripts somewhere in the weekend if someone wants to experiment with my present setup.

I have to thoroughly go through Qole's scripts for Easy Debian, which are much more advanced than the stuff that's available for Android; I don't want to run as root like in all gnu-linux distros hacked onto Android devices, and I wish to find a way to run the mount & chrooting script, and the vnc client, all from the same command/icon.

In the meantime, I have upgraded my and wife's (and her brother's) Tab to Gingerbread by kies, and rooted them by flashing a tweaked kernel like described in http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...3-gingerbread/. Neither Z4root nor SuperOneClick work with this firmware release.
This also adds Clockworkmod (which couldn't be installed with Rom Manager on European Tabs) and a bunch of configurable kernel tweaks which remind me of Swappolube

Last edited by debernardis; 2011-06-30 at 13:28.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...showdown/all/1

Funny how Wired didn't even include IMHO the best tablet available now, the Asus Transformer.

I even ran the Sunspider benchmark just to make sure:

iPad2 = 2163.3 ms
Transformer Default Honeycomb 3.1 browser = 2142.3ms

Minimal difference I know, but it beat the winner of their so called showdown...

Did I mention it is also cheaper than all other tablets listed?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Hi
When will be WiFi and voice calls finished? I'm waiting until these features work before I install Nitdroid?

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Hi
When will be WiFi and voice calls finished? I'm waiting until these features work before I install Nitdroid?
You're looking for the Nitdroid thread (or others). This is the Android thread.

I'd suggest you read through those threads first before asking a question like this. You won't get any answers you like to your question.

Short answer is sometime, maybe never.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy