Poll: More moderation of trolls ?
Poll Options
More moderation of trolls ?

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by jesuska View Post
are you suggesting that trolls would only post where they are told to ?
No, i mean as an alternative to deletion one could move the posts to a place where they don't disturb us.

Posts: 140 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Earth
Ignore the trolls and wot not. Threads whining about them are nothing more or less than what the trolls do themselves.

If behind the scene the moderator decide to ban, delete, remove or whatever else. Trolls feed off reactions & responses. So dont give them a reaction or a response and they dont get the attention they ultimately seek.

Go on you know you can do it

As for moderation. Polite moderation is one thing but heavy moderation can and sometimes does turn into removing anything that the 'supreme posters' turn their nose up at.

If threads and/or postings have useful advisory or evolutionary value to Maemo then whats the issue no matter how elementry or pointless they might be in the eyes of others then let them be.

If however the thread fails rules along those or similar lines and the individual clearly wants to be the forum jester then call the mods in.

N900 - Use, Master, Appreciate.

Last edited by Astute; 2010-04-02 at 09:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astute For This Useful Post:
Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Unfortunately that would require, again, a mod to be online 24/7 to do all the moving.

I love spam. Spam is amongst the most inventive effluent verbal diahorrea that is elucidating in more ways than a banana shotgun could ever be. Bring on the spam.

Originally Posted by gobuki View Post
Let me suggest an alternative solution.
I wouldn't care if the troll posts weren't in the center of attention. Maybe we could have a forum category that is not shown in the active topics section. So trolls could do what they like there and no one who isn't interested is bothered with it. That would possibly spark less dissent since we wouldn't give trolls a new target ("maemo isn't open, they censor our opinions").
And btw. i find trolling is an art and troll posts can be entertaining and interesting if the art is mastered. Unfortunately i see more heavy-handed pricks here on tmo than trolls who master their art.
I like this idea. Works out for everyone. People who want to be trolls or read their posts can and people who actually want to find out information don't have to waste their time. But then again trolls would not post in the correct section and we would end up with the same problem and it wouldn't be practical for mods to move all these posts, there are too many.

Also those april fools jokes stopped being funny after the first one.

Last edited by rahulg247; 2010-04-02 at 09:39.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toulouse, France
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Ignore the trolls and wot not. Threads whining about them are nothing more or less than what the trolls do themselves.

If behind the scene the moderator decide to ban, delete, remove or whatever else. Trolls feed off reactions & responses. So dont give them a reaction or a response and they dont get the attention they ultimately seek.

Go on you know you can do it

As for moderation. Polite moderation is one thing but heavy moderation can and sometimes does turn into removing anything that the 'supreme posters' turn their nose up at.

If threads and/or postings have useful advisory or evolutionary value to Maemo then whats the issue no matter how elementry or pointless they might be in the eyes of others then let them be.

If however the thread fails rules along those or similar lines and the individual clearly wants to be the forum jester then call the mods in.

well, i was ignoring them at first, but now they are over-represented.
Many times, with the serach tool for serious matter, i had troll entries coming up top of the list.

i've been reporting posts, tho, but it seems hopeless.

And to those saying that it is impossible to be online 24/7 to delete the trolls, i'd say it is not necessary...
Would take me 5 mins to delete the 10 major trolling threads each day.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
I noticed something funny. The OP has features of a troll post.

1. Thread Title: HEAVY REQUEST .. .lol ... I WANT IT SO BADLY AND EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES IS A DUMBASS!!!111
2. Thread Title: Please moderators ! ... Says nothing about the intent.
3. Poll answers insult everyone who disagrees.

IMO the poll should be deleted! lol

Posts: 140 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Earth
No further comment from fear of being deemed a winger or troll haha

N900 - Use, Master, Appreciate.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by jesuska View Post
Someone has to quickly put an end to this nonsense before it becomes a habit for too many.

I'm talking about fake threads, april fools-even-tho-it's-not-the-1st-of-april, trolling, and what makes a far too big percentage of what i am reading here on this forums.
There is a solution to this.
Simply ignore those threads.
If you stop posting replies, they will disappear from Active Topics.
Unfed trolls die very quickly. If we ignore them, they will stop coming here and find other playground.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toulouse, France
Originally Posted by gobuki View Post
I noticed something funny. The OP has features of a troll post.

1. Thread Title: HEAVY REQUEST .. .lol ... I WANT IT SO BADLY AND EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES IS A DUMBASS!!!111
2. Thread Title: Please moderators ! ... Says nothing about the intent.
3. Poll answers insult everyone who disagrees.

IMO the poll should be deleted! lol
yeah, lol was intended =)

Simply ignore the stupid threads - that's what I do. Even if the volume is constantly increasing and the rss feed is polluted that's the easy thing to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to icebox For This Useful Post: