Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by cheve View Post
n900 has the IR and the wifi part already and I use it with my DSLR. Can this $350 universal remote do that and does it make phone calls

cheers,
While I'm sure others like the idea of an Android remote control, I quietly agree with cheve on this point--why? I'm not sure this thing is worth it. Infrared remotes are cheap--even fancier ones are cheaper than this. What are they trying to fix by slapping Android on it? Mind you--I also think the N900 is a poor solution, but then you don't go out and buy an N900 as a remote control (you just use it because you already have it), whereas this is being marketed for the purpose of just being a remote control. It seems impractical, to me, and you can already use a regular Android cell phone with wifi to control devices as it is (i.e. VLC, Roku, various DVR's, etc.).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
The newest version of nitroid is out. Vostok running gingerbread.

This fits in an epic thread right

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
While I'm sure others like the idea of an Android remote control, I quietly agree with cheve on this point--why? I'm not sure this thing is worth it. Infrared remotes are cheap--even fancier ones are cheaper than this. What are they trying to fix by slapping Android on it? Mind you--I also think the N900 is a poor solution, but then you don't go out and buy an N900 as a remote control (you just use it because you already have it), whereas this is being marketed for the purpose of just being a remote control. It seems impractical, to me, and you can already use a regular Android cell phone with wifi to control devices as it is (i.e. VLC, Roku, various DVR's, etc.).
This is not for everyone, however, some people would gladly pay for this tech.

There's a market for it. Simply put. Up until this device, Logitech basically has controlled the market with it's Harmony line of devices. They are basically universal remotes with a display, and the top-of-line version containing a touch-screen.

Roku (et al.) is certinaly full featured, but can't turn on (let alone control) control your huge A/V Receiver, your new big screen TV/projector, your blu-ray/dvd player (still relevant), or your stereo, or additional receivers. Something like this would reduce remote clutter tremendously as is the promise of universal remotes, without requiring a tool with 100 buttons on its face.

Yes, you can do it with your phone, but then again if you prefer a dedicated solution that more than one person can use (eg. family members), this is really, really good.

A better solution would be an IR transmitter that could connect to your home network and be controlled via your phone, your tablet, your pmp, or your computer via an easy to use, dedicated app. The trouble with this device would be selling it, as it would may be challenging to convince the masses the need of such a device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post

Anything that doesn't threaten to dissolve the brotherhood of the epic thread fits.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
The Galaxy Tab is now baked into the dash!

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/04/t3-...g-galaxy-tabs/

I'm still loving that 7" size!

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
The Google Market has upgraded to include carrier-billing:

http://android-developers.blogspot.c...n-android.html

This will make purchase decisions very easy, and statement surprises much more frequent...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post

Absolutely! We welcome our Android brothers in whatever form they come in. (*Note: Except if they come installed in talking purple dinosaurs, red-headed clowns in yellow jumpsuits and other such threatening forms).

ANDROID! It's for everybody!

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The Galaxy Tab is now baked into the dash!

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/04/t3-...g-galaxy-tabs/

I'm still loving that 7" size!
I want that dashboard mount in all my cars, dammit. None of this bull**** suck-shun mount business. Dashboards should start coming with a standard tablet/phone mounting system (ala ANSI mounts for monitors and TV's).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-04-13 at 19:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I want that dashboard mount in all my cars, dammit. None of this bull**** suck-shun mount business. Dashboards should start coming with a standard tablet/phone mounting system (ala ANSI mounts for monitors and TV's).
Not a bad idea. I suspect the largest challenge would be in making something modular enough to fit the array of device sizes.

Still, a removable tablet dash may make your car a larger target for break-in in certain areas. Considering the price of capacitive Android devices, and the general openness of the system, I'm surprised that more care manufacturers don't bake these flexible dash systems in their vehicles. It seems like a quick way to increase the price of a car, and should be genuinely useful.

Even voice recognition would be a welcome option.

eg.
person: "Lexus - tune into 96.1 fm"
car: .... "right away, dave"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Not a bad idea. I suspect the largest challenge would be in making something modular enough to fit the array of device sizes.
Naw--just needs to be big enough for a commonly sized tablet (say 7" or 10") and then maybe a standardized (based on USB perhaps) mount system. I imagine something like an adapter plate (ala Apple's mounting plates) that provides both a customized mount and port adapting. You would just shove the phone or tablet into the mouth, port-first and let it click into place... then press an ejecting button to pop it back out safely. Just one example.

Still, a removable tablet dash may make your car a larger target for break-in in certain areas.
Why? Especially if the device can easily (and should) be removed when you're not in the car? It's not like you would stuff your phone/tablet in the glove compartment like people commonly do with GPS navigation devices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Why? Especially if the device can easily (and should) be removed when you're not in the car? It's not like you would stuff your phone/tablet in the glove compartment like people commonly do with GPS navigation devices.
Increased probability of error (leaving tablet in) == increased chance of break-in. Try explaining to your mum (or some other older adult) why she has to remove this device each and every time she leaves the car. I can see some of my friends forgetting or being to lazy to remove such a system every time they get out of the car as well.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy