Poll: What will your next phone platform be?
Poll Options
What will your next phone platform be?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
don't know yet. something that is available Q4/2010 and better than M5. I am afraid that there won't be a device that fits the criteria....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
For a phone platform, I'm split between Symbian and Android. I would like to get a MeeGo tablet one day though...

Thanks for the input everybody. It's nice to see that MeeGo will still have a strong offering in this community.

I would like an updated n900, the phone is excellent just more powerful hardware in the same form factor. The meego OS from what I have seen so far looks horrible.
I personally would like an updated maemo version NOT meego!!!

Dual boot on the n900 will eventually give the n900 the best of android as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to d4k007 For This Useful Post:
too bad there is no maemo 6! maemo 5 is the best mobile-OS i've ever seen!

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
It's a shame Nokia left maemo for MeeGo because maemo is now a mature and stable little OS!

Harmattan sounded like a great maemo-based upgrade before everything changed.

I voted for MeeGo because it is closer to the "linux" experience than the other platforms.

However I will think twice before buying a Nokia-MeeGo device and see what other manufacturers produce first.

The other possibility is android phone and MeeGo tablet.

It's a waiting game - MeeGo "matures" in October and we'll see how it performs and we'll have a firmer idea what Nokia has in mind.

I'm just not impressed by Nokia's handling of open-source projects - MeeGo is no different if anything I'd say Nokia hasn't learned a thing.

At least MeeGo is not under Nokia's complete control and other companies may do a better job.

Last edited by johnel; 2010-07-08 at 08:44.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
Nokia changes its mind to often about what its future looks like. I sold the n900 and jumped to Android 2.1 - now awaiting 2.2.

On my desire everything worked out of the box, there are enough apps to keep me happy, and development continues in the way it should. Its open enough to customise and some of the apps are just brilliant.

Nokia didnt do this, when I bought the n900. It still doesnt come close now.

Unfortunately, my N900 has been relegated to my backup work phone.

I've got a HTC Legend as my main phone now.

I've been stuck using Nokia's for the past couple years and damn, what a difference a decent OS makes! I am LOVING Android. It's got that perfect blend of configurability and eye candy and apps.

The best part is, I thought the N900 was a SOLID phone, as in stuff just worked (well, prior to pr1.2) and I never needed to reboot my phone. But in hindsight, that was just in comparison to my previous Symbian OS phones. The reality is, my Legend just flat out works too....but much better.

For my usage, I weighed it up like this:
1) Email - Works perfectly fine on both platforms. It's quicker on the Legend and more configurable (set different sync times for different accounts). Unfortunately, both lack a "mark all as read" function which I personally would find very handy.

2) Calendar - My N900 calendar has a bug which doesn't put the appointment times in correctly. The Legend calendar works perfectly, as expected, the agenda view is better (no accidental scrolling to previous days) and the widget is MUCH more useful.

3) Battery life - To get my N900 through a full 16hr day (for me) I pretty much have to not use it. Regular use would get me through maybe 8hrs. My Legend gets me 14hrs comfortably (although I've just bought a bigger battery for it that I am testing).

4) Apps - Android wins here easily for me. N900 has a lot of techy type apps that I'm never gonna use. Whenever I'm bored I'll check out the Android Market and find something interesting to play around with. Also, all the apps I've downloaded for Android have WORKED. Whereas most of my N900 apps have bugs which will most likely never be fixed, or at least not before I get a new phone.

5) Prettiness - HTC Sense is just plain awesome. I do feel a little constricted at times due to not being able to place icons wherever I want (they have set slots they can fill) and sometimes I find widgets are just too damn big, but overall I find HTC Sense MUCH better at displaying the information I want to see at a glance.

6) Size - I'm not usually one to complain about the size of a phone, but yes, it is a refreshing change not to have to carry around a brick.

But, it wasn't an easy choice. There are things I miss that my N900 did.

1) Browsing - it's MUCH nicer to browse on the N900 especially with a stylus and keyboard.

2) speaking of which, Keyboard - I love having a QWERTY keyboard, but that's the price I have to pay for not wanting any of the current QWERTY Android phones.

3) Social networking - I LOVE how the N900 stays connected with all my IM accounts. But I HATED that it chewed through my battery life.

4) Sideways - While it pissed me off a lot, I find I do miss using a phone that was dedicated to being used sideways. Using the Legend sideways feels a bit like using the N900 in portrait mode, tacked on. While I really like being able to quickly check things and reply to messages with one hand now, sometimes I do miss hammering out whole chapters' worth of text with 2 hands in record time.