hi all,

my N800 always worked nice over USB; last week I upgraded to OS2008 without major problems. BUT: since the OS upgrade, the PC does not recognize my N800 anymore when I plug in the cable.

there is an error on XP: "device not recognized", and in the error window I see that the N800 now acts as a USB HUB with 8 ports, on port #2 there is the N800, but is is not connectable. All the other 7 ports are empty.

I rebooted several times (N800+PC), I connected a million times with no success. I never played around with the "USB HOST MODE" and I use the standard NOKIA cable which came with the N800, but it seems the N800 is acting like a USB HUB now as seen by the PC???

thank you for any hints,
karl.

update to myself:

I think I found the reason why: I de-installed all the NOKIA Phone software (PC Suite, Nokia Cable Driver etc....) as i want to free up some CPU cycles on my PC... I never connect my Nokia Phone to the PC, and I thought the N800 acts as a standard USB device.
Now it seems to me one does need the NOKIA Cable Driver, as the USB cable for the N800 is the NOKIA DKE-2. I will re-install this driver and report.

ok, matter resolved: it was the cable.

either the standard NOKIA cable which comes with the N800 is really a DKE-2, or i mixed it up with one of those others from my NOKIA Zoo:
I now tried a standard USB cable, and everything is fine.

for the DKE-2 one does need the NOKIA cable driver package, which I got read of with some regedit hacking...

I will put this DKE-2 in a box and hide it far away from my other stuff..-)