Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
It seems likely that the base OS will use a fair chunk of 256MB which means less room for multiple application processes.

It is conceivable that an app may be written that needs more of the remaining memory than is available, but it would have to be pretty big.

In which case we get into memory swapping, which means it will still run. but perform poorly.
And at this stage of the game that is all MeeGo means to me and my 'lil ol' N900...

More, meaningful applications and perhaps a WRT and JRT that may also work.

SLN member # 009

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
And at this stage of the game that is all MeeGo means to me and my 'lil ol' N900...

More, meaningful applications and perhaps a WRT and JRT that may also work.
I have noticed the demos of Meego have fennec and this could be driving the base memory requirement up. That thing is a monster, even the latest b4

I don't think anyone will complain about more memory provided the up the battery too to cover the energy penalty introduced.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
I have noticed the demos of Meego have fennec and this could be driving the base memory requirement up. That thing is a monster, even the latest b4

I don't think anyone will complain about more memory provided the up the battery too to cover the energy penalty introduced.
I don't think that's the case.. But I do agree that fennec is just a memory hog + slow.

I wish they would just update and optimize MicroB.. but oh well.. :S

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I'm wondering with the minimum specs, does that rule out the N900? Considering the N900 has 256MB of physical RAM? It shouldn't right? JW..
The slide was for the compliancy spec, which has to do with manufacturers getting their products branded as MeeGo.

The answer to the question was that the N900 will be fine. Of course the N900 hardware adaption team isn't actually targetting anything vaguely day-to-day useful (developers only), so it probably wont matter either way.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Zealand
Oct 2011 Until a viable user friendly Meego?

Oct 2011 Android superfroYogingerBcandyCane

Oct 2011 iOS5 Apple JUiCE

Oct 2011 Win7 in 3D

I don't get it Nokia have you heard the expression behind the 8 ball?

Meego OS means nothing to me after seeing the time frames and "Meego on my N900" by then my phone will have probably suffered a fatal drop.

Getting Nokia to Listen: "Is like winking at a girl in the dark" POINTLESS!

Last edited by GEONXT; 2010-11-17 at 11:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEONXT For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I don't understand why it is taking some much time to create an operating system! I would have done it in a month!

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I'm waiting until April-ish next year before I make any judgements on Meego.
There still is a problem with basic hardware under Meego and the Developers are working really hard to get stuff working - (e.g. battery charging is still only possible via USB).

I'm hoping that Meego will be in a usable state on the n900 next year because it is the only "mobile" platform that aims to be a proper OS (e.g. proper multi-tasking).

Other manufacturers are more interested in dumbing-down the OS to reduce manufacturing costs, increase profits and exert more control over their devices.

It seems Meego is going in the opposite direction and actually innovating in the mobile market - you know making a computing device actually do more and not less..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Sadly, I think Geonxt could be right. By the time MeeGo is in a usable state (12 months time?) we will have all moved on - and not sure anyone around will want to spend the time needed to make it work well on N900. Oh well...

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
Originally Posted by ikirk View Post
Sadly, I think Geonxt could be right. By the time MeeGo is in a usable state (12 months time?) we will have all moved on - and not sure anyone around will want to spend the time needed to make it work well on N900. Oh well...
People always move around (in real life and with their flavor of phone OS) they also come around back to the roots and no other major phone OS has the easiest path to root than Maemo/Meego

These timeframes seem long - starting to think best to forget about meego in near future, android/iOS/WM7 are far more relevant right now.

maemo/meego is an interesting open source exercise but not convinced it's going to mean much until mid-late 2012

?

Tags
meego